Jul 12, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
The DeltaWing Coupe showed its best speed of the season during Friday practice for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship round at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, ending sixth fastest and just 0.6 off the overall leading Morgan Nissan P2-spec Prototype.
Unfortunately the good vibes only lasted for that first session. Near the end of the second session and on the front straight, a fuel line rupture triggered a fire that caused delamination too extensive to repair the car outside of the team’s shop in Braselton, Georgia. That’s caused the team to withdraw from the rest of the weekend.
Driver Andy Meyrick was on board at the time and emerged mercifully unscathed from the incident. Meyrick even poked fun at it on Twitter, first with his “I’m OK” tweet and then a Starbucks tweet Saturday morning.
Wow.that was scary,big fire but no major injuries and just under observation in the medical centre pic.twitter.com/srVx5Cflp5
— Andy Meyrick (@AndyMeyrick) July 11, 2014
Great banter from Starbucks this morning given what happened yesterday !! Made me smile pic.twitter.com/5EPgn3g8Mo
— Andy Meyrick (@AndyMeyrick) July 12, 2014
Meyrick entered the weekend with great momentum on the strength of consecutive wins in the Blancpain Endurance Series, with co-drivers Steven Kane and Guy Smith in the Bentley Continental GT3.
Meanwhile co-driver Katherine Legge was no doubt looking for better luck as she celebrates her birthday this Saturday.
Elsewhere, and reports of this have been slower to get out, but Marsh Racing’s Boris Said suffered a broken rib after an incident in Turn 1 on Friday.
Said, who co-drives the No. 31 Corvette DP with Eric Curran, was evaluated and released from an area hospital. The best I’ve seen describing the accident was Corvette Racing’s Tommy Milner, who competes in the GT Le Mans class.
@RyanEversley Crashed in T1. Think something broke. Hit drivers left entering T1. Still no further update other then went to hosp. for eval
— Tommy Milner (@TommyMilner) July 12, 2014
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0