Jul 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The possibility of Formula 1 racing around the streets of London has been opened up once again as new legislation is given the green light by British parliament.
Prime Minister David Cameron confirmed yesterday that new laws to allow motor racing on public roads will be introduced before the next election, and spoke to the assembled media at Williams’ headquarters in Oxfordshire.
“I can announce today that we are going to enable more road races for GB motorsport,” Cameron said. “We think this will be really useful to British motorsport: more races, more events, more money coming into the country and more success for this extraordinary industry.”
Although the council concerned is yet to receive any proposal from Bernie Ecclestone for a Formula 1 grand prix, it does give the green light to the proposed Formula E race at Battersea Park, set to take place next June.
However, the big lure is the possibility of an F1 circuit in the very heart of London, incorporating landmarks such as Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and Trafalgar Square. Mayor of London Boris Johnson is known to be a fan of the idea, and many F1 drivers have also supported it.
Last year, McLaren and Ferrari sponsor Santander released a promotional video giving an idea of what a race in London might look like. Although there is still a very long way to go for this idea to go ahead, a race around the streets of western Europe’s biggest city would certainly be lucrative and a definite tourist pull.
- Report: Cleveland out for 2016 IndyCar schedule, still possible for future 0
- It’s not the years, but the mileage for Scott Dixon going into 250th start 0
- CFH Racing looks to turn things around once again at Milwaukee 0
- Welcome back, Wilson: Englishman back with Andretti for rest of 2015 1
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 8
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2