Jul 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The possibility of Formula 1 racing around the streets of London has been opened up once again as new legislation is given the green light by British parliament.
Prime Minister David Cameron confirmed yesterday that new laws to allow motor racing on public roads will be introduced before the next election, and spoke to the assembled media at Williams’ headquarters in Oxfordshire.
“I can announce today that we are going to enable more road races for GB motorsport,” Cameron said. “We think this will be really useful to British motorsport: more races, more events, more money coming into the country and more success for this extraordinary industry.”
Although the council concerned is yet to receive any proposal from Bernie Ecclestone for a Formula 1 grand prix, it does give the green light to the proposed Formula E race at Battersea Park, set to take place next June.
However, the big lure is the possibility of an F1 circuit in the very heart of London, incorporating landmarks such as Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and Trafalgar Square. Mayor of London Boris Johnson is known to be a fan of the idea, and many F1 drivers have also supported it.
Last year, McLaren and Ferrari sponsor Santander released a promotional video giving an idea of what a race in London might look like. Although there is still a very long way to go for this idea to go ahead, a race around the streets of western Europe’s biggest city would certainly be lucrative and a definite tourist pull.
Video from NASCAR America
- After 62 starts, Brad Keselowski finally earns first career Trucks win at Bristol 0
- F1, IndyCar, Red Bull GRC highlight jam-packed motorsports weekend on networks of NBC 0
- Alexander Rossi to make F1 debut in Belgium, replaces Chilton 6
- It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14 5
- When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again? 17
- Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa 6
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 12