Jul 12, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
A RACE TO HALFWAY?
Weather could have a major impact on how tonight’s Iowa Corn Indy 300 plays out. The forecast is calling for showers and thunderstorms around Iowa Speedway, and if the storms come as they’re expected to, the race could go in fits and starts – all the way to Lap 151, the point where it will be an official event. Remember, there’s a street course doubleheader coming next weekend in Toronto for all these teams. They won’t want to linger around Iowa for too long.
FAST AND FRENETIC
Iowa is a wicked little bullring. At 17 seconds per lap, drivers have to wrap their heads around the high sensation of speed. Then there’s the big bump in Turn 2, which has caused its fair share of havoc in past IndyCar races. A strong car set-up that can deal with the bump will be important to have.
HELIO VS. POWER
Helio Castroneves and Will Power are tied for the Verizon IndyCar Series championship lead going into tonight’s race, and neither of them can afford a stumble here. Simon Pagenaud, Pocono winner Juan Pablo Montoya, and Ryan Hunter-Reay are in striking distance, and would be more than happy to add horses to this 2014 title race.
GOTTA BEAT ANDRETTI
Short ovals are Andretti Autosport’s domain, and Iowa has been a great place for them (four consecutive wins and five wins in seven total IndyCar races there). Tonight’s race will be especially important for Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti – both of whom are past Iowa winners and are looking to push forward in the aforementioned championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 6
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 7
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1