Jul 12, 2014, 7:11 PM EST
A RACE TO HALFWAY?
Weather could have a major impact on how tonight’s Iowa Corn Indy 300 plays out. The forecast is calling for showers and thunderstorms around Iowa Speedway, and if the storms come as they’re expected to, the race could go in fits and starts – all the way to Lap 151, the point where it will be an official event. Remember, there’s a street course doubleheader coming next weekend in Toronto for all these teams. They won’t want to linger around Iowa for too long.
FAST AND FRENETIC
Iowa is a wicked little bullring. At 17 seconds per lap, drivers have to wrap their heads around the high sensation of speed. Then there’s the big bump in Turn 2, which has caused its fair share of havoc in past IndyCar races. A strong car set-up that can deal with the bump will be important to have.
HELIO VS. POWER
Helio Castroneves and Will Power are tied for the Verizon IndyCar Series championship lead going into tonight’s race, and neither of them can afford a stumble here. Simon Pagenaud, Pocono winner Juan Pablo Montoya, and Ryan Hunter-Reay are in striking distance, and would be more than happy to add horses to this 2014 title race.
GOTTA BEAT ANDRETTI
Short ovals are Andretti Autosport’s domain, and Iowa has been a great place for them (four consecutive wins and five wins in seven total IndyCar races there). Tonight’s race will be especially important for Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti – both of whom are past Iowa winners and are looking to push forward in the aforementioned championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 2
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 6
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2
- Jeff Gordon’s legacy of success transcends generations 1