IndyCar: Montoya angry with Carpenter following late Iowa crash (VIDEO)

Jul 13, 2014, 12:38 AM EST

Juan Pablo Montoya was as jovial as can be after winning at Pocono Raceway. A week later at Iowa Speedway, he was the exact opposite after being forced into an accident with 19 laps remaining in Saturday’s Iowa Corn Indy 300.

Montoya had recovered from losing a rear wing endplate early in the race to run amongst the Top 10 late. But as he attempted to make an inside move on Ed Carpenter in Turn 3 for position, Carpenter appeared to move down.

That caused Montoya to go below the yellow line, then slide up the race track and into the wall to end his night.

Before going in for his ride to the infield care center, Montoya and Carpenter traded gestures as the latter ran by under caution. Montoya stretched out his arms as if to say ‘What the heck?’ and Carpenter raised his right hand from the cockpit as if to say ‘What did I do?’

“I got inside of him and he just – he was running high and all of a sudden, he decides to run low,” a frustrated Montoya told NBCSN (see the interview clip above).

“He’d been running every lap on the top…They all love preaching ‘safe racing’ and everything, but when you’re gonna pass them, they’re just [d-bags], you know?”

When informed that INDYCAR chose to take no action against Carpenter, Montoya vowed that “[he’ll] take some action later.”

Perhaps sensing a confrontation in his near future, Carpenter tried to strike a conciliatory tone after going on to finish fifth.

“I feel bad,” said Carpenter, the Verizon IndyCar Series’ sole owner/driver. “I certainly wasn’t trying to take him out. I knew he had been working me inside. I was struggling, I was just gonna try the low side that time. I didn’t know he was that far in there.

“Lee [Bentham], my spotter, was trying to tell me he was there, but was too late – I had already started coming down. So, my apologies. I definitely wouldn’t appreciate that if I was on the end of it. At the same time, it wasn’t intentional.

“I have a lot of respect for Juan, so hopefully we can talk about it without me getting my butt kicked.”

Montoya was credited with a 16th-place finish.

1. manik56 - Jul 13, 2014 at 4:35 AM

Jerk move by Carp. Get off the track if you aren’t going to pay attention. No penalty was laughable. That was the definition of a (very late) block. BB is as clueless as the other BB.

• worknman24hours - Jul 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Ugly cutoff block.

Carpenter will be repaid I am sure.

2. quickdraw53 - Jul 13, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Montoya is nothing but a bully that pouts when he doesn’t get his way or the dirty end of the stick. he took out his own teammate in nascar so he could win a race. he sucked at nascar and whined about it all the time

• childofsea - Jul 14, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Sorry, QuickDraw, but you either need to watch the replay or get eyes checked! Not a Montoya fan, but Carpenter clearly came down on him.. Carpenter had consistently stayed to the high line and clearly blocked! They have penalized others for lesser blocking moves.

3. rho1953 - Jul 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Yeah, he screwed up, but he had an ill handling car and took a different line. It’s not as if Montoya has never done anything stupid, just look at his NASCAR career. Carpenter fessed up and apologized, he was contrite, he handled it like a man. Montoya acted like the immature asshole he actually is. Sato was wrecked by a dumb move that wasn’t his fault but handled it with class. I don’t like Montoya, I never have.

4. dbooth2020 - Jul 13, 2014 at 12:48 PM

It is payback time for all the people Montoya wrecked while driving for NASCAR. Almost every race he wrecked or caused a wreck hurting many drivers chances of winning or improving standings. He is a very reckless driver and never admits when he is at fault. I am very surprised someone hired him to drive. I hope he does not injure or kill someone with his terrible driving.

5. techmeister1 - Jul 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Wow, a bunch of haters on here.

It is what it is folks. I like both Carpenter and Montoya but it was clear Ed cut down on Montoya and caused the crash. There was absolutely no reason to turn down from where Carpenter was on the track other than to block. He knew Montoya was there so there is no excuse despite the ruse of being sorry. Failure to impose an avoidable incident penalty is really poor officiating.

6. dameslc - Jul 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM

@dbooth Dont you think you are exaggerating just a little in saying that JPM wrecked somebody almost every race? I watch a lot of racing, NASCAR, F1 and IndyCar and in NASCAR ALL or most of the drivers make contact with other drivers during the season as there are so many cars that run so close together racing fender to fender and bumper to bumper for so many laps and miles that it is the only major form of racing where contact is to be expected as well as “the big one” is expected and happens in most of the races. There are websites that have the crash data and if you look at Montoya’s incident rate, he does not even have an unusually high incident rate. somewhere right in the middle and there are drivers in that series with three times as many incidents as Montoya. I saw a you tube video a while back titled (Juan Montoya, one of the most destructive drivers in nascar history and it highlighted wrecks that Montoya was involved in, 60 of them over his Nascar career and I was watching it and I really thought to myself; two thirds of these are not even Montoya’s fault! Montoya was always going to be scrutinized as an open wheel star racing in NASCAR and it is very easy for people to pick out each incident that Montoya was involved in and then of course somehow in each case Montoya is to blame. I think of how Montoya was running in 7th place early in the 2013 Daytona 500 and Matt Kenseth got lose and caused a multi car wreck that took Montoya out of the race and then reading comments where there were people who actually tried blaming Montoya for it. Also when Montoya was bumped from behind at Walkens Glen in 2007 and got pushed into Kevin Harvick whereas Harvick initially blamed Montoya but then later apologized for and so many people where blaming Montoya even after Harvick admitted it was not Montoya’s fault and you could see clearly that Montoya was just a victim. It’s just a biassed view of things the way those people want to see it.

7. aug99 - Jul 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM

With Montoya,
    ITS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSES FAULT.
    We of course remember, IT WAS THE JET DRYERS FAULT.

8. penskefan - Jul 13, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Sure looked like a block from where I was sitting.

9. testover6370 - Jul 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Shameful move from Carpenter, he never took that line at any other time. I’m shocked there was no call. I appreciate that they’re trying to not over-officiate, but that one sadly deserved a penalty.

10. Jeff - Jul 14, 2014 at 12:48 AM

JPM is the biggest dbag of them all, well except maybe Power. I was sad to learn that Penske hired him in the off season.

• childofsea - Jul 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM

You need to take personalities out of the picture, otherwise you just sound like a little girl! Do you pick your favorites based on the color of their car, or if they are cute? Sounds like it to me. Even Carpenter admitted he was wrong. Grow up, little lady!

Video from NASCAR America