Jul 13, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
Shepherd, who started last in today’s race, was listed as 15 laps down immediately after the accident. Replays appeared to show Logano being hit from behind in Turn 3 before hitting the wall. Shepherd was able to continue his race.
“The slowest car on the race track took us out – go figure,” Logano spat on TNT. “We had a pretty good Auto Trader Ford and just doing what we can to hang in there.
“We were running second…We were just doing what we can with strategy, keeping our cars toward the front, running good lap times and I felt like we could have a Penske 1-2 again.
“To get taken out by the slowest car – I feel like there should be a driver’s test when you get out in a Cup car and make sure you know how to drive it before you [race] one. But I don’t know, I guess there isn’t.”
When asked if he planned to speak with NASCAR on the subject, Logano felt it would do no good.
“That ain’t gonna go nowhere,” he said. “What am I going to say? It’s not NASCAR’s fault that he slid up and he’s the slowest car on the track. I don’t know, if you can’t control your stuff, don’t even be out there. If you’re 10 laps down, what are you doing?”
The incident also caused Tony Stewart to chime in on the matter, as SBNation’s Jordan Bianchi relays:
By starting today’s race, Shepherd broke his own record as the oldest driver to ever start a Sprint Cup event at 72 years, nine months, and one day.
Today marks Shepherd’s second start of 2014 after he finished 43rd with brake issues at Phoenix earlier this year.
Video from NASCAR America
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 22
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6