Jul 13, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
Shepherd, who started last in today’s race, was listed as 15 laps down immediately after the accident. Replays appeared to show Logano being hit from behind in Turn 3 before hitting the wall. Shepherd was able to continue his race.
“The slowest car on the race track took us out – go figure,” Logano spat on TNT. “We had a pretty good Auto Trader Ford and just doing what we can to hang in there.
“We were running second…We were just doing what we can with strategy, keeping our cars toward the front, running good lap times and I felt like we could have a Penske 1-2 again.
“To get taken out by the slowest car – I feel like there should be a driver’s test when you get out in a Cup car and make sure you know how to drive it before you [race] one. But I don’t know, I guess there isn’t.”
When asked if he planned to speak with NASCAR on the subject, Logano felt it would do no good.
“That ain’t gonna go nowhere,” he said. “What am I going to say? It’s not NASCAR’s fault that he slid up and he’s the slowest car on the track. I don’t know, if you can’t control your stuff, don’t even be out there. If you’re 10 laps down, what are you doing?”
The incident also caused Tony Stewart to chime in on the matter, as SBNation’s Jordan Bianchi relays:
By starting today’s race, Shepherd broke his own record as the oldest driver to ever start a Sprint Cup event at 72 years, nine months, and one day.
Today marks Shepherd’s second start of 2014 after he finished 43rd with brake issues at Phoenix earlier this year.
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 0
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 4
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 2:30a ET 0
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 3