Jul 13, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
FIA race director Charlie Whiting reckons that the F1 community will love the new Russian Grand Prix and the circuit that is being built around the site of the Sochi Winter Olympics complex.
Speaking to the circuit’s official website, Whiting praised the progress made by the organizers and was sure that the drivers will like the track layout and facilities.
“The last time I was here, it was a big building site. It’s been a year since I’ve been here and it looks beautiful now,” he said. “The track itself is going to be really fast and the drivers will love it. I’m sure of that.
“It’s clear that everything has been done really nicely. It will be a fast track, and I think it will be a really competitive track as there will be at least two or three places where drivers can overtake properly. I think that will be a very interesting track and a very spectacular race.”
As with any new circuit, there have been some safety concerns about Sochi, but Whiting is confident that the track has been made to the highest quality.
“We’re happy about the safety here,” he said. “It’s absolutely first class, I could not describe it any better than that.
“We are entirely confident that Sochi is absolutely first class when it comes to safety. It’s going to be a spectacular race and I’m really looking forward to it.”
The Russian Grand Prix is one of two new races on the calendar this year, with the revived Austrian Grand Prix taking place last month.
This will actually be the third Russian GP to be held, with two races taking place in 1913 and 1914 around the streets of St. Petersburg. It will however be the first since the formation of the F1 world championship in 1950.
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory 5
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 2
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 45
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0