Jul 15, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Last year’s Honda Indy Toronto was doubly good for Chip Ganassi Racing as Scott Dixon swept the weekend, completing a three-race win streak that set him off toward his third Verizon IndyCar Series title.
If recent performance is any indication, the Ganassi camp may be in for more celebrations in T.O. – where they’ve claimed four of the last six races.
Dixon, Tony Kanaan, Ryan Briscoe, and Charlie Kimball have been unable to secure a win between them in 2014, but it would appear they’re on the verge to break through shortly.
Kanaan in particular has stepped up as of late, even though his results haven’t always reflected his pace.
And last weekend at Iowa, he flat-out dominated before settling for third when Ryan Hunter-Reay and Josef Newgarden blazed past him on fresh tires in the final laps.
To say that Toronto has not been one of Kanaan’s better tracks may be an understatement. Although he’s come close to a couple of podiums (fourth in 2010 and 2012), he’s suffered 7 DNFs in 10 open-wheel starts there.
But with as much momentum as he’s had recently, we may be wise to not bet against him this weekend. Ditto for Ryan Briscoe, who has also built up some steam. The Australian has strung together five Top-10 finishes in the last six races.
Of course, both of them plus Dixon and Kimball want more. As I’ve written before, expectations are high at Ganassi and wins are what matter.
But you get the sense that after Kanaan and Briscoe’s processes of getting used to the team (in Briscoe’s case, re-used), things have settled. Everyone’s on the same page.
And these boys are about to make a lot of noise.
“I’m not going to say I’m extremely happy about it, but I am extremely satisfied with the way we’re doing things in the team,” Kanaan said after his near-miss in Iowa.
“A win is around the corner, for sure. We’re going to Toronto, a race that Dixon dominated last year, both doubleheaders. We have high hopes there, trying to finish the season on a high note.”
NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra will air both races of the Honda Indy Toronto LIVE this Saturday and Sunday at 3 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52