Jul 15, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Nationwide Series rookie Ty Dillon will get his first taste of Sprint Cup action next month at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
According to a report from Motor Racing Network’s Dustin Long, Richard Childress Racing vice president of competition Mike Dillon (father of both Ty and current RCR Cup rookie Austin Dillon) has confirmed that Ty will drive the No. 33 Chevrolet as he attempts to make the field for the Atlanta 500 on Aug. 31 – the penultimate race of the 2014 regular season.
The report mentions that part of the reason behind having Ty make his Cup debut at Atlanta is because the RCR Cup team will be testing there next month.
Additionally, a second Cup race in 2014 is being planned for Ty – but where and when will come down to sponsorship.
In March, Ty tested a Sprint Cup car for fellow Chevrolet squad Furniture Row Racing at Texas Motor Speedway.
Ty currently sits fourth in the Nationwide Series standings at 34 points behind current leader Regan Smith.
He has yet to score a Top-5 finish, but has been very consistent with 11 Top-10 finishes and zero DNFs. Also, he has completed all but three laps run so far this Nationwide season (2,981 of 2,984).
His best finish this year has been a sixth at Bristol in March, while his worst finish has been a 19th at Road America in June. Ty finished 12th last weekend at New Hampshire after being forced to start from the rear of the field due to unapproved adjustments after qualifying.
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 2
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4
- Tony Kanaan says older part, reinforced suspension contributed to Hinchcliffe’s crash and injury 7