Jul 15, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Nationwide Series rookie Ty Dillon will get his first taste of Sprint Cup action next month at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
According to a report from Motor Racing Network’s Dustin Long, Richard Childress Racing vice president of competition Mike Dillon (father of both Ty and current RCR Cup rookie Austin Dillon) has confirmed that Ty will drive the No. 33 Chevrolet as he attempts to make the field for the Atlanta 500 on Aug. 31 – the penultimate race of the 2014 regular season.
The report mentions that part of the reason behind having Ty make his Cup debut at Atlanta is because the RCR Cup team will be testing there next month.
Additionally, a second Cup race in 2014 is being planned for Ty – but where and when will come down to sponsorship.
In March, Ty tested a Sprint Cup car for fellow Chevrolet squad Furniture Row Racing at Texas Motor Speedway.
Ty currently sits fourth in the Nationwide Series standings at 34 points behind current leader Regan Smith.
He has yet to score a Top-5 finish, but has been very consistent with 11 Top-10 finishes and zero DNFs. Also, he has completed all but three laps run so far this Nationwide season (2,981 of 2,984).
His best finish this year has been a sixth at Bristol in March, while his worst finish has been a 19th at Road America in June. Ty finished 12th last weekend at New Hampshire after being forced to start from the rear of the field due to unapproved adjustments after qualifying.
Video from NASCAR America
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1
- Different agendas for Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. at Homestead test 2
- NBC, NBCSN set for mega U.S. Grand Prix weekend of coverage from Austin 2