Jul 16, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg has inked a multiyear contract with Mercedes AMG Petronas, and with Lewis Hamilton also on board for the long haul, the Brackley-based team is well-positioned for the future.
Rosberg had won a handful of Grands Prix in 2012 and 2013, but 2014 with the new regulations and a car that is easily the class of the field, Rosberg has fully come into his own. Three 2014 victories at Melbourne, Monaco and Austria have doubled his career win total to 6, and he’ll shoot to get into double digits and World Champion status from here.
“I am very proud to drive the Formula One Silver Arrow of the modern era,” Rosberg said in a team release. “As a German, the heritage of Mercedes-Benz is very special for me, and I am proud to be able to represent the best car brand around the world.
“It has been a difficult road to get to where we are now – but everyone kept believing and, thanks to the fantastic support from Mercedes-Benz, we are now leading the way in F1,” he added, having noted the progress made since he joined when Mercedes took over the former Brawn GP operation in 2010.
Added Toto Wolff, head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, “Nico has been part of the Silver Arrows project since day one and he has a big stake in the development of the team since 2010. His speed, commitment and focus have all helped to give clear direction and to drive the team forward.”
It’s been a banner week-plus for Rosberg, as summed up in his below tweet:
What a week!! I got married, Germany won and I signed a new contract with mercedes! Just need to win my home GP now;) pic.twitter.com/2JZFaBLUJ1
— Nico Rosberg (@nico_rosberg) July 16, 2014
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 0
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 1