Jul 17, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
After the legality of the front-rear interconnected suspension systems (aka FRIC) was brought into question by FIA race director Charlie Whiting earlier this week, teams are now moving to remove them from their cars for this weekend’s German Grand Prix.
However, a number of drivers in Germany have said that the loss of the system will not be too much of a problem, and general consensus suggests that Mercedes will lose the most – albeit not enough to fall back into the clutches of the other teams.
It was thought that some of the teams could take a risk and run the system during practice, leaving the decision over its legality with the race stewards in Germany, who could theoretically disagree with Whiting. However, none of the teams will risk this, and Force India’s Sergio Perez confirmed that his team would stay safe this weekend.
“We won’t run it I think,” Perez said. “It’s pretty much taken the decision from the senior management that we won’t run it. I don’t know how much it will affect us, but I don’t expect it will have a big impact on our car.
“Some teams, of course, they have developed the system and have a much advanced system than us, and have a bigger impact than we will.”
Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso was asked about how the loss of the system would impact on his driving style, but he too was not overly bothered by the decision.
“Nothing, really,” he said. “It’s a system that has been on Formula 1 cars for some years now, but it’s not a big implication in terms of driving style or in terms of anything that can change the behavior of the car.”
Felipe Massa also felt that it wouldn’t be a huge change, and believes that the teams ahead – namely Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull – stand to lose the most from the ban.
“I think it’s very difficult to answer compared to other teams,” he admitted. “The only thing I can say is that we don’t make our car much quicker using the FRIC. For sure, it’s positive, but not a big difference, so I don’t think we will lose a lot.
“It can be that we get closer to the big teams. I really believe that teams maybe like Mercedes, like Ferrari, like Red Bull, they can have a system which is working more than our system, but it’s very difficult to be sure about that, so we need to wait and see how things work on this weekend.”
Lewis Hamilton tested without FRIC at Silverstone last week, and wasn’t affected by the change.
“It is going to be a new experience for several different people,” he said. “We tried it already in Silverstone and the car felt much the same. Naturally I think everyone has to adapt the set-up a little bit to utilise different settings.”
It will be interesting to see if there is any change in the pecking order this weekend, but given that all of the teams look set to remove the device, we should see little movement on the grid.
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 0
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 10
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1