Jul 17, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
While open-wheel racing will take up the majority of time on the streets of Toronto this weekend, the Pirelli World Challenge is also in action with a doubleheader for the GT, GT-A and GTS classes. Rounds 9 and 10 of the season occur Saturday and Sunday; they’ll air Sunday, August 10 on NBCSN at 1:30 p.m. ET.
In GT, Johnny O’Connell has won three of four street races this season in his No. 3 Cadillac Racing Cadillac CTS-V.R. The defending class champion is also the defending race winner in Toronto.
Others who’ve podiumed on the street courses this year include Johnny O’s Cadillac Racing teammate Andy Pilgrim, Anthony Lazzaro in the No. 61 R. Ferri Motorsports Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 and Andrew Palmer in the No. 21 GMG Racing Audi R8 Ultra. Lazzaro’s teammate, Nick Mancuso in the No. 16 R. Ferri Motorsports Ferrari 458 Italia GT3, also has a GT-A podium on street courses but hasn’t achieved one in GT yet this year.
Those five, plus Butch Leitzinger (Bentley), Road America double winner Mike Skeen (CRP Audi), and guest drivers Nick Tandy (EFFORT Porsche) and Kuno Wittmer (Dodge Viper SRT) will also be some to watch.
The GT-A battle is wide open with five drivers having won a race this year and only Brazilian Marcelo Hahn bagging more than one victory. There are 12 cars entered this weekend.
GTS is also wide open with Kia Racing/Kinetic Motorsports teammates Nic Jonsson (No. 36 DonorsChoose.org Kia Optima) and Mark Wilkins (No. 38 PutOnTheBrakes.org Kia Optima) are separated by only a single point in the championship entering the weekend. Others who should figure into the equation are the other two street course winners this year, Lawson Aschenbach (St. Petersburg) and Dean Martin (Detroit), and veteran Jack Baldwin in the No. 73 RESET-MD Porsche Cayman S.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1