Jul 17, 2014, 8:43 PM EST
IndyCar driver Ryan Hunter-Reay won his second straight ESPY for best driver at Wednesday’s awards at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.
Hunter-Reay, who won this year’s Indianapolis 500 in a close finish with Helio Castroneves, became the fourth driver in ESPY history to win back-to-back awards.
When he won the award for the first time last year, Hunter-Reay became the first Indy car driver to take home an ESPY since 1997.
Hunter-Reay, who won last weekend’s IndyCar race at Iowa Speedway, defeated fellow IndyCar driver Scott Dixon, along with NASCAR drivers Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr., and NHRA Funny Car driver John Force.
In that win at Iowa, the Iowa Corn Indy 300 last Saturday night, Hunter-Reay led just two laps – but they were the most important ones: the final two laps of the event.
With six races remaining on the 2014 schedule, the win at Iowa leaves Hunter-Reay third in the Verizon IndyCar Series standings with 439 points, 32 points behind points leader Castroneves (471) and 23 points behind second-ranked Will Power (462).
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 1
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 7
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2