Jul 17, 2014, 8:43 PM EST
IndyCar driver Ryan Hunter-Reay won his second straight ESPY for best driver at Wednesday’s awards at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.
Hunter-Reay, who won this year’s Indianapolis 500 in a close finish with Helio Castroneves, became the fourth driver in ESPY history to win back-to-back awards.
When he won the award for the first time last year, Hunter-Reay became the first Indy car driver to take home an ESPY since 1997.
Hunter-Reay, who won last weekend’s IndyCar race at Iowa Speedway, defeated fellow IndyCar driver Scott Dixon, along with NASCAR drivers Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr., and NHRA Funny Car driver John Force.
In that win at Iowa, the Iowa Corn Indy 300 last Saturday night, Hunter-Reay led just two laps – but they were the most important ones: the final two laps of the event.
With six races remaining on the 2014 schedule, the win at Iowa leaves Hunter-Reay third in the Verizon IndyCar Series standings with 439 points, 32 points behind points leader Castroneves (471) and 23 points behind second-ranked Will Power (462).
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3