Jul 17, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
IndyCar driver Ryan Hunter-Reay won his second straight ESPY for best driver at Wednesday’s awards at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.
Hunter-Reay, who won this year’s Indianapolis 500 in a close finish with Helio Castroneves, became the fourth driver in ESPY history to win back-to-back awards.
When he won the award for the first time last year, Hunter-Reay became the first Indy car driver to take home an ESPY since 1997.
Hunter-Reay, who won last weekend’s IndyCar race at Iowa Speedway, defeated fellow IndyCar driver Scott Dixon, along with NASCAR drivers Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr., and NHRA Funny Car driver John Force.
In that win at Iowa, the Iowa Corn Indy 300 last Saturday night, Hunter-Reay led just two laps – but they were the most important ones: the final two laps of the event.
With six races remaining on the 2014 schedule, the win at Iowa leaves Hunter-Reay third in the Verizon IndyCar Series standings with 439 points, 32 points behind points leader Castroneves (471) and 23 points behind second-ranked Will Power (462).
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25