Jul 18, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
JOLIET, ILLINOIS – Brian Scott paced the field in the first of two Nationwide Series practices Friday at Chicagoland Speedway.
Scott covered the 1.5-mile track 50 miles south of Chicago at a speed of 172.806 mph.
Larson and Kahne are the only two Sprint Cup regulars participating in Saturday’s Nationwide event, the EnjoyIllinois.com 300.
Cale Conley was 11th-fastest (170.946).
Camping World Truck Series rookie Erik Jones, making his Nationwide Series debut this weekend, was 12th-fastest (170.827 mph).
Ryan Blaney was 13th-fastest (170.767), followed by Elliot Sadler (170.557), Regan Smith (170.154), Ryan Sieg (170.036), James Buescher (169.827), Mike Bliss (169.699), Dylan Kwasniewski (169.263) and Dakoda Armstrong (168.587).
Kwasniewski parted ways with crew chief Pat Tryson earlier this week, with former Turner Scott Motorsports car chief Shannon Rursch being promoted to replace Tryson.
Although 40 cars are entered for Saturday’s race, only 33 took part in the first practice session of the day on Friday. The second practice session is due to go from 6:30 to 8 pm ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Kyle Busch roars back to win Truck race at Texas; Matt Crafton gets closer to clinching championship 0
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 1
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0