Jul 18, 2014, 8:18 PM EST
JOLIET, Illinois — Picking up where they left off in the first session a few hours earlier, Richard Childress Racing dominated Friday’s second Nationwide Series practice session at Chicagoland Speedway.
In fact, it was a 1-2-3 RCR showing in the second practice.
While Scott ran a top speed of 172.806 mph in the first practice, Conley’s best run in the second practice was mighty stout, being the only driver to exceed 175 mph with a best lap of 175.262 mph.
RCR teammate Brendan Gaughan, who was fourth-fastest in the first practice, improved to second-fastest in the second session, just a tick short of 175 mph at 174.961 mph.
A third RCR driver, Richard Childress’ grandson Ty Dillon, was third-fastest at 174.848 mph. Scott, meanwhile, could only muster 11th-fastest in the second session (172.667 mph, just a hair shy of his first practice speed).
Erik Jones, who is making his Nationwide Series debut this weekend, was sixth-fastest at 174.064 mph, followed by Chase Elliott (173.561), Ryan Sieg (173.321), James Buescher (172.999) and Ryan Blaney (172.822).
Other notables in the second session included:
* Dylan Kwasniewski, who has new crew chief Shannon Rursch for this race (replaced the released Pat Tryson), continued to search for speed. Kwasniewski was only 22nd fastest (169.343 mph), nearly six mph behind pace-setter Conley.
* Only 39 of the 40 drivers entered took practice laps, with Mike Harmon the slowest of the bunch at just 156.101 mph. Tanner Berryhill was scored 40th, but he did not bring his car onto the racetrack for the second session after recording the 28th-fastest speed in the first session.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 3
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 11