Jul 18, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
TORONTO – Defending Toronto doubleheader race winner Scott Dixon will have the first pit stall on pit lane for this weekend’s Honda Indy 2 in Toronto as a result of scoring pole position last race at Iowa.
What he doesn’t have, at the moment, is much room to work with as a several-lane wide pit lane (pit boxes and both an acceleration and fast lane) to merge down to a narrow, single-file funnel at pit exit.
Dixon said INDYCAR will examine the possibility of moving the outside pit wall back (the one nearest to the grandstands), and INDYCAR confirmed that possibility, following discussion at this morning’s driver meeting.
“We’re seeing if they’ll move the tire wall, possibly two feet or so, so we can fit two cars better,” Dixon told reporters at the conclusion of Friday’s practice sessions.
“Unfortunately the last stall isn’t as close to pit out as it used to be. You used to have a huge advantage,” he added.
While pit exit was one point of discussion raised during Dixon’s media availability, the other was, in his mind, the unfortunate luck leaders may have when yellows come out on a road or street course.
“It’s much more a lottery now with the pits being closed under yellow,” Dixon explained. “Huertas you saw play it late and win at Houston; Hinch dominated but ended sixth or seventh (fifth -Ed.). We understand it’s for safety, but right now the leader is a sitting duck.”
Interesting comments from Dixon, who seeks his first and Chip Ganassi Racing’s first win of the season in either of the two Toronto races.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 11
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0