Jul 18, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso has denied speaking to any other team about a seat for 2015 as speculation about his future continues to circulate around the F1 paddock.
The Spaniard joined Ferrari back in 2010 in a deal that was expected to see both the driver and team waltz to the championships. Instead, Alonso has finished as the runner-up on three occasions to Sebastian Vettel, and neither the driver nor the team has won a race in the last twelve months.
With McLaren switching to Honda power for 2015, a move back to Woking is thought to be an option for Alonso. However, he denied speaking to any teams yesterday, and instead made light of the situation.
“It’s the same question every year in July,” he said. “From 2003 I start, so eleven years.
“I didn’t talk with any team, and it’s not my priority. We have to score some good points this weekend and some good results this year.”
Alonso was rumored to be holding talks with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo in Maranello last week about a new contract, but he explained that he was there to use the simulator and that contact with the senior management at Ferrari was nothing new.
“In Maranello, I’ve been for the simulator,” he said. “I talk with President and with Marco everyday, so it was no different last week.”
McLaren chief Ron Dennis has said that he would welcome Alonso back to the team despite a tumultuous year together back in 2007, that resulted in the Spaniard returning to Renault for 2008.
However, Ferrari teammate Kimi Raikkonen has fared even worse in 2014, and currently sits P12 in the drivers’ standings with just 19 points to his name – some 66 less than Alonso. The Finn is also unconcerned about his future with the team, saying that the focus lies with improving the F14 T car.
“I’m sure we can fix them,” Raikkonen said. “How fast? I hope quickly but it depends on many things.
“I have a contract so I’m not worried about that for the future.”
Both drivers will be hoping for a good result at this weekend’s German Grand Prix. Click here for full details on NBC Sports’ broadcasting schedule for the biggest weekend of racing in 2014.
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 0
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 9
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 5
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2