Skip to content

Fernando Alonso denies contact with other F1 teams

Jul 18, 2014, 7:00 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain Getty Images

Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso has denied speaking to any other team about a seat for 2015 as speculation about his future continues to circulate around the F1 paddock.

The Spaniard joined Ferrari back in 2010 in a deal that was expected to see both the driver and team waltz to the championships. Instead, Alonso has finished as the runner-up on three occasions to Sebastian Vettel, and neither the driver nor the team has won a race in the last twelve months.

With McLaren switching to Honda power for 2015, a move back to Woking is thought to be an option for Alonso. However, he denied speaking to any teams yesterday, and instead made light of the situation.

“It’s the same question every year in July,” he said. “From 2003 I start, so eleven years.

“I didn’t talk with any team, and it’s not my priority. We have to score some good points this weekend and some good results this year.”

Alonso was rumored to be holding talks with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo in Maranello last week about a new contract, but he explained that he was there to use the simulator and that contact with the senior management at Ferrari was nothing new.

“In Maranello, I’ve been for the simulator,” he said. “I talk with President and with Marco everyday, so it was no different last week.”

McLaren chief Ron Dennis has said that he would welcome Alonso back to the team despite a tumultuous year together back in 2007, that resulted in the Spaniard returning to Renault for 2008.

However, Ferrari teammate Kimi Raikkonen has fared even worse in 2014, and currently sits P12 in the drivers’ standings with just 19 points to his name – some 66 less than Alonso. The Finn is also unconcerned about his future with the team, saying that the focus lies with improving the F14 T car.

“I’m sure we can fix them,” Raikkonen said. “How fast? I hope quickly but it depends on many things.

“I have a contract so I’m not worried about that for the future.”

Both drivers will be hoping for a good result at this weekend’s German Grand Prix. Click here for full details on NBC Sports’ broadcasting schedule for the biggest weekend of racing in 2014.

Latest Posts
  1. Big Australian V8 Supercars shocker: Shane van Gisbergen heads to Triple Eight for 2016

    Mar 5, 2015, 6:44 PM EST

    Getty Images Getty Images

    “The Giz” heads to V8SC’s biggest team in a three-year deal as the team’s third car.

  2. IndyCar: Happy 20th birthday to Ganassi rising star Sage Karam

    Mar 5, 2015, 5:23 PM EST

    Getty Images Getty Images

    “SK$” turns 20. Sage Karam will make his second IndyCar start at season-opening race in St. Petersburg.

  3. Jean-Eric Vergne chasing “amazing” home win for Andretti at Miami ePrix

    Mar 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

    Formula E Championship - Buenos Aires Getty Images

    JEV wants to clinch Andretti a home win when Formula E hits U.S. shores in Miami later this month.

  4. More movements in GP2, GP3, Formula Renault 3.5 for 2015

    Mar 5, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

    © GP2 Media Service © GP2 Media Service

    All of the latest news from some of F1’s most prominent junior championships.

  5. GP2: Marlon Stockinger confirmed at Status Grand Prix

    Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

    _W2Q1556

    Filipino-Swiss driver moves from Formula Renault 3.5 for 2015.

  6. Hamilton: “I want to be better” in bid for third title

    Mar 5, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

    Hamilton 262a Getty Images

    British driver sends out an ominous statement of intent ahead of the first race of the year in Australia on March 15.

  7. F1 2015 team preview: Williams Martini Racing

    Mar 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

    F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi Getty Images

    Can Massa and Bottas pick up where they left off at the end of 2014?

  8. Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP

    Mar 5, 2015, 12:07 PM EST

    AUTO-PRIX-RUS Getty Images

    Team now all set to race in Australia on March 15 after passing the FIA crash tests.

  9. Formula E: Scott Speed in at Andretti for Miami ePrix

    Mar 5, 2015, 12:00 PM EST

    Bojangles' Southern 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

    Add another American to the Formula E roster for 2015 as Speed replaces Marco Andretti for the first of two home races.

  10. Reports: Giedo van der Garde steps up legal action against Sauber F1 Team

    Mar 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

    Singapore F1 GP Auto Racing AP

    Dutch driver reportedly seeking an urgent court order that would get him on the grid for the upcoming Australian Grand Prix.

  11. Ecclestone: Decision on German GP due this weekend

    Mar 5, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

    F1 Grand Prix of Germany Getty Images

    With neither Hockenheim nor the Nurburgring prepared to host the race in 2015, the outlook is bleak for a German Grand Prix.

  12. IndyCar: Arrow Electronics to sponsor Hinchcliffe; number changes to 5

    Mar 5, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

    Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

    New sponsor, new number (again) for Hinchcliffe’s 2015 IndyCar campaign.

  13. Honda’s IndyCar aero kit launch plan comes into focus

    Mar 4, 2015, 5:14 PM EST

    Honda Indy Toronto - Day 1 Getty Images

    Honda hints at more about its aero kits, while tossing out two dates of note.

  14. PWC: 2015 driver/team rundown, GTS

    Mar 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

    WC

    Look through the Pirelli World Challenge field continues with a look at GTS.

  15. F1 2015 team preview: Red Bull Racing

    Mar 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

    Ricciardo Kvyat 43 Getty Images

    Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat look to lead the team in the post-Vettel era.

  16. Justin Wilson has first ride of 2015 confirmed, back with Shank at Sebring

    Mar 4, 2015, 12:40 PM EST

    GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma - Day 1 Getty Images

    Justin Wilson returns to Michael Shank Racing for Sebring one-off.

  17. Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne

    Mar 4, 2015, 12:09 PM EST

    AUTO-PRIX-RUS-PRACTICE Getty Images

    Manor Marussia F1 to make trip to Melbourne after all.

  18. Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing

    Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST

    Agag2 Getty Images

    FIA Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag outlines goals for upcoming two U.S. races, and recaps the first four thus far.