Jul 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
As well as celebrating its tenth season in 2014, GP2 is now preparing for race #200 to take place on Saturday in support of the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim.
Introduced in 2005 as a replacement for the International F3000 series, GP2 has since grown into one of the most senior and competitive single seater series around. Ordinarily, it supports half of the Formula 1 grands prix across the course of a season, mainly those in Europe. You can find out more about the series by reading our primer here.
Over the years, GP2 has produced a number of top Formula 1 drivers. 25 have made the jump up in total, including 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton (2006 GP2 champion), his Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg (2005), grand prix winner Pastor Maldonado (2010), Lotus driver Romain Grosjean (2011), and the likes of Jules Bianchi, Esteban Gutierrez, Nico Hulkenberg and Kamui Kobayashi. Even American driver Scott Speed came through GP2 before entering F1.
Currently, the championship battle appears to be between Jolyon Palmer and Felipe Nasr. Both have plenty of experience in the series, but as we have seen over the past couple of years, winning the title does not necessarily guarantee a seat in Formula 1.
GP2 also plays host to the two American drivers that are closest to making the jump to Formula 1. Alexander Rossi had been a member of Caterham F1 Team’s academy, but parted company with the team earlier this week. He is now racing with Campos, and still has sights on a seat with Haas in 2016.
Conor Daly is the other young American racing in GP2, currently for Venezuelan GP Lazarus. We caught up with him at Silverstone where he spoke about the challenges facing young drivers trying to make their way up the ladder.
GP2 has provided us with many memorable moments over the years and some highly entertaining racing. Congratulations to all involved for reaching such a great milestone, and here’s to the next 200.
You can watch highlights of GP2 from Hockenheim this Sunday at 7pm ET on NBCSN.
- WATCH LIVE: Sonoma second practice at 10:30 a.m. PT, 1:30 ET, on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6