It may be an off-weekend for Sprint Cup, but there’s still plenty to keep fans from going into withdrawal
Jul 18, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
While the big boys of NASCAR are enjoying their last off-weekend of the Sprint Cup season, it’s likely many fans are going through withdrawal this weekend, as well.
And for the first time in family history, three generations of Gillilands – father Butch, son David and grandson Todd – will drive against each other Saturday night at Irwindale Speedway in suburban Los Angeles.
Butch will be racing for the first time in over a decade, while Todd has been nothing short of outstanding in his first season of racing Late Models – as a 13-year-old, no less.
There’s also Sunday’s Whelen Euro Series race across the pond in Germany.
But if you’re really, in desperate need of a NASCAR fix, while we can’t give you drivers, we do give you next best thing: stats!
And thanks to the kind statisticians at NASCAR, we have a handful of numbers about the first 19 races of the season that should satiate your appetite until next Sunday’s Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis.
Thus far in the 2014 Sprint Cup season:
* There have been 11 different race winners.
* There have been 12 different Coors Light Pole winners; 13 track qualifying records have been broken.
* An average of 11.1 leaders per race through 19 races, compared to 8.8 at this point last year.
* An average of 24.1 lead changes per race, compared to 16.6 at this point last year last year.
* Average margin of victory is .717 seconds, the lowest through 19 races since the inception of electronic timing and scoring in 1993.
* Through race No. 19, there have been 76,570 green flag passes, the most at this point of the season since the inception of passing stats in 2005.
* In addition, there have been 771 green flag passes for the lead, the second highest figure through 19 races since 2005.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0