Jul 18, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Simon Pagenaud in the No. 77 Oculus Schmidt Peterson Hamilton Motorsports Honda ended fastest on Friday at 1:00.0084, as the 45-minute second practice for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto ended early following a red flag.
Pagenaud, whose best finish at Toronto is fourth (2007, Champ Car), seeks his third victory of the season.
Helio Castroneves was second in the No. 3 PPG Team Penske Chevrolet, but his session ended early as well due to a reported battery issue on the car. Castroneves, the IndyCar points leader, clocked in at 1:00.0218.
Scott Dixon, in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet, was third at 1:00.0769. Dixon and Ganassi are thus far winless in 2014; Dixon swept the Toronto doubleheader weekend a year ago.
Will Power and James Hinchcliffe completed the top five. Practice one leader Josef Newgarden ended this session 13th.
The second practice ended after Ryan Briscoe spun and stalled exiting Turn 1. Briscoe was able to restart and head back to the pits in the No. 8 NTT Data Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet.
The top 20 were covered by 0.9487 of a second. Standing start practice followed the end of the race practice; tomorrow’s race one of the weekend (Saturday, 3 p.m. ET, NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra) will feature the standing start.
Here’s your session times.
Video from NASCAR America
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 0
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1
- Different agendas for Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. at Homestead test 1
- NBC, NBCSN set for mega U.S. Grand Prix weekend of coverage from Austin 2
- Lewis Hamilton to join TODAY Show on Wednesday 0