Jul 18, 2014, 3:07 PM EST
Simon Pagenaud in the No. 77 Oculus Schmidt Peterson Hamilton Motorsports Honda ended fastest on Friday at 1:00.0084, as the 45-minute second practice for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto ended early following a red flag.
Pagenaud, whose best finish at Toronto is fourth (2007, Champ Car), seeks his third victory of the season.
Helio Castroneves was second in the No. 3 PPG Team Penske Chevrolet, but his session ended early as well due to a reported battery issue on the car. Castroneves, the IndyCar points leader, clocked in at 1:00.0218.
Scott Dixon, in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet, was third at 1:00.0769. Dixon and Ganassi are thus far winless in 2014; Dixon swept the Toronto doubleheader weekend a year ago.
Will Power and James Hinchcliffe completed the top five. Practice one leader Josef Newgarden ended this session 13th.
The second practice ended after Ryan Briscoe spun and stalled exiting Turn 1. Briscoe was able to restart and head back to the pits in the No. 8 NTT Data Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet.
The top 20 were covered by 0.9487 of a second. Standing start practice followed the end of the race practice; tomorrow’s race one of the weekend (Saturday, 3 p.m. ET, NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra) will feature the standing start.
Here’s your session times.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 4
- Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed 3
- McLaren confirms Alonso leaves hospital, and is out for final test 0
- Manor targets Melbourne appearance; announces Will Stevens as first driver 2
- Iconic F1 designer Gerard Ducarouge dies at 73 1
- F1: Barcelona 2015 first test cumulative times, lap counts, analysis 0