Jul 18, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel have both come away happy on Friday at Hockenheim after securing some solid top ten results during the first two practice sessions today.
In the first 90-minute session on Friday morning, Ricciardo and Vettel finished in fourth and sixth place respectively before going on to finish third and eighth in FP2, with Ricciardo leading once again.
The Australian’s time during the second session was only one-tenth of a second shy of that of Lewis Hamilton in the lead Mercedes, and he feels that Red Bull might be a bit closer to the leaders in Germany this weekend.
“I think tires and weather will define the race on Sunday,” Ricciardo said. “Today we were happy with our progress and it seems to be one of the closer gaps for a while, but it’s tomorrow when we’ll see how close we really are.
“I think we had a good car today and we extracted pretty much everything we could out of the practice today. Hopefully we can have more of a fight with the leaders this weekend.”
Vettel was also pleased with his performance on Friday, and did not feel too much of a difference when running without the now-banned FRIC suspension device.
“I think we can improve from there for tomorrow,” the German driver said. “I don’t think not having the FRIC suspension on the car made too much difference to us today, although I haven’t had a proper look at the other cars yet.
“I think it will be fairly close between the cars this weekend. It’s nice to be on track here near to where I grew up and I’m looking forward to the rest of the weekend.”
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 11
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1
- Rutledge Wood joins NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR and motors coverage 6
- NASCAR expands Sprint Unlimited field to include Chase drivers 3