Jul 18, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel have both come away happy on Friday at Hockenheim after securing some solid top ten results during the first two practice sessions today.
In the first 90-minute session on Friday morning, Ricciardo and Vettel finished in fourth and sixth place respectively before going on to finish third and eighth in FP2, with Ricciardo leading once again.
The Australian’s time during the second session was only one-tenth of a second shy of that of Lewis Hamilton in the lead Mercedes, and he feels that Red Bull might be a bit closer to the leaders in Germany this weekend.
“I think tires and weather will define the race on Sunday,” Ricciardo said. “Today we were happy with our progress and it seems to be one of the closer gaps for a while, but it’s tomorrow when we’ll see how close we really are.
“I think we had a good car today and we extracted pretty much everything we could out of the practice today. Hopefully we can have more of a fight with the leaders this weekend.”
Vettel was also pleased with his performance on Friday, and did not feel too much of a difference when running without the now-banned FRIC suspension device.
“I think we can improve from there for tomorrow,” the German driver said. “I don’t think not having the FRIC suspension on the car made too much difference to us today, although I haven’t had a proper look at the other cars yet.
“I think it will be fairly close between the cars this weekend. It’s nice to be on track here near to where I grew up and I’m looking forward to the rest of the weekend.”
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4