Jul 18, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Ryan Dungey entered the 2014 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship as the title favorite in the 450 Class, but his Red Bull KTM teammate Ken Roczen has come out swinging in his first season in the premier division, currently leading Dungey by 26 points in the championship standings.
Dungey may be ready to turn a corner and catch Roczen though. Dungey – the 450MX champion in 2010 and 2012 – earned the overall victory a week ago at Budds Creek and is returning to his home state of Minnesota for this weekend’s Spring Creek National, a race in which he earned the 450 Class overall win in three of the last four years.
Watch the video above to hear Dungey’s thoughts on his championship battle with Roczen and what he needs to do over the final five rounds in order to overtake his teammate.
“It’s hard to make up time, usually we’re pretty even in a lot circumstances – or I have a little edge, or he’s a litle edge,” Dungey says in part. “So it takes 100% of your effort and them some to be able to pull off the [moto] victories and the overall [wins]. It’s those moments you gotta dig deep.”
Coverage of the Spring Creek National begins Saturday at 11:30 AM E.T. with the second practice session streaming live on ProMotocross.com and NBC Sports Live Extra, followed by the pre-show at 1:15 PM E.T. First and second motos in both classes stream live beginning at 2:00 PM E.T.
NBCSN will also air same-day coverage of second motos for both classes at 6:00 PM E.T. on Saturday.
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 0
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 52
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1