Jul 18, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Ryan Dungey entered the 2014 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship as the title favorite in the 450 Class, but his Red Bull KTM teammate Ken Roczen has come out swinging in his first season in the premier division, currently leading Dungey by 26 points in the championship standings.
Dungey may be ready to turn a corner and catch Roczen though. Dungey – the 450MX champion in 2010 and 2012 – earned the overall victory a week ago at Budds Creek and is returning to his home state of Minnesota for this weekend’s Spring Creek National, a race in which he earned the 450 Class overall win in three of the last four years.
Watch the video above to hear Dungey’s thoughts on his championship battle with Roczen and what he needs to do over the final five rounds in order to overtake his teammate.
“It’s hard to make up time, usually we’re pretty even in a lot circumstances – or I have a little edge, or he’s a litle edge,” Dungey says in part. “So it takes 100% of your effort and them some to be able to pull off the [moto] victories and the overall [wins]. It’s those moments you gotta dig deep.”
Coverage of the Spring Creek National begins Saturday at 11:30 AM E.T. with the second practice session streaming live on ProMotocross.com and NBC Sports Live Extra, followed by the pre-show at 1:15 PM E.T. First and second motos in both classes stream live beginning at 2:00 PM E.T.
NBCSN will also air same-day coverage of second motos for both classes at 6:00 PM E.T. on Saturday.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0