Jul 18, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT
Adrian Sutil has said that he is not concerned about his future despite a poor start to the season that has seen Sauber fail to score any points.
The German driver was rumored to be in the firing line for Sauber, with reserve driver Giedo van der Garde set to replace him according to a story in the Swiss press. However, he explained to NBCSN’s Will Buxton that he has no idea where these stories came from.
“I haven’t read it, so I don’t really know,” Sutil said. “I’m still here, 119 grands prix, that’s it.”
He is instead focusing on the job at hand and trying to make the most of the troublesome C33 Sauber car.
“There’s always what you have to do in sports, you have to work on and never give up, try to improve and push,” he explained. “Don’t talk too much – deliver. Me as a driver, I have my job to do first, and that’s what I have to do right now.
“The car is probably not the best but I can’t change that for the moment so maximize what the car can do. This is the job I want to do and achieve this weekend, and then for the near future, I hope to have a better car to make this racing a bit more enjoyable which is definitely the case when you’re in the top ten or in the race for points.”
The rumors about Sutil’s future weren’t helped when he deleted his Twitter account earlier this week. However, the German explained that there was nothing sinister behind it.
“I had no time,” he said. “It’s too much work for me on the phone so I’m very sorry.”
Although Sutil’s seat does appear to be safe for now, until Sauber’s results begin to improve, there will always be question marks hanging over his head and that of teammate Esteban Gutierrez.
- James Hinchcliffe describes how inspired he was by Justin Wilson 1
- Dixon: “I don’t think anybody had a stellar season” 5
- Watkins Glen, Baltimore stand out for Stefan Wilson’s favorite race memories of brother Justin 1
- Report: Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 1
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1
- Ten with Townsend: Sonoma and 2015 IndyCar debrief 2