Jul 19, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT
Newly-appointed Caterham team principal Christijan Albers is remaining tight-lipped about his team’s driver line-up for the rest of the season, simply saying that “I want to see results.”
The team has endured a difficult start to the 2014 season, and remains rooted to the bottom of the constructors’ standings. After five seasons of trying, former owner Tony Fernandes threw in the towel last month and sold the outfit to a consortium made up of Swiss and Middle Eastern investors, with Albers becoming team principal.
There have been a number of changes in personnel over the past two weeks, and this was thought to possibly be extended to the current driver line-up of Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson. When asked about their future with the team, Albers remained coy.
“I want to see results,” he said. “That’s very important for every Formula 1 team.
“To be honest today I think they did a good job. We had some bad luck in the second practice, but they are sharp and we know we need performance and also of course, with a team as Caterham F1, we also always need a little bit of budget.”
Kobayashi is not thought to be bringing a huge amount of finance to the team, with his experience being the main lure for Caterham when he was signed. Therefore, if the team is in need of a bigger budget, a number of drivers could fit the bill in more ways than one.
Red Bull junior Carlos Sainz Jr. was rumored to be in the running for a seat with the team, given that the F1 weekends do not clash with his World Series by Renault commitments. Albers confirmed that they had spoken, but not necessarily about a seat for 2014.
“I have seen a lot of rumors in the press as usual in Formula 1,” he said. “At this moment, of coruse, we have seen Carlos and we have spoken to him also, but at this moment there is nothing done.
“The drivers are performing now, I was happy today, that’s the situation.”
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 0
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 3
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6