Jul 19, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Brian Scott has earned the pole for tonight’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race at the 1.5-mile Chicagoland Speedway.
Scott, who is also one of four competitors racing tonight for a $100,000 “Dash4Cash” bonus, posted a final round lap of 177.807 mph in the No. 2 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet to take pole for the EnjoyIllinois.com 300 (8:30 p.m. ET, check local listings).
It’s Scott’s second pole of 2014 and his fourth in NNS competition.
“We’ve got our game faces on,” Scott told Fox Sports. “We’re going out there to win the $100,000 and try to win the race. I think we’ve got a car capable of it and I think it’s going to be a lot of fun racing here under the lights at Chicago.”
RCR also locked out the front row thanks to NNS rookie Ty Dillon, who turned in a lap of 177.643 mph in his No. 3 Chevy. Fellow rookie Chase Elliott will roll off third after his lap of 177.381 mph, and Erik Jones will make his NNS debut tonight for Joe Gibbs Racing from the fourth position (177.322).
Sprint Cup regular Kasey Kahne (177.136) and Sam Hornish Jr. (177.090) make up Row 3, followed by another Dash4Cash driver, Elliott Sadler, and Ryan Blaney in Row 4. Two more RCR drivers, Brendan Gaughan and Cale Conley, will go from Row 5.
As for the two other D4C racers tonight, Chris Buescher will start 13th and Nationwide Series points leader Regan Smith will start 15th. Smith enters tonight’s race with an eight-point lead over Sadler in the championship, with Elliott in third place at 13 points behind.
- Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 0
- Social Roundup: IndyCar season-ending banquet 0
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1
- Ten with Townsend: Sonoma and 2015 IndyCar debrief 1
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 18