Jul 19, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
Eli Tomac and Ken Roczen may be rookies to the 450 Class, but they’ve looked like seasoned pros all year long on the track.
Roczen, the current points leader in the 450 Class, has excelled throughout the season, while Tomac has finished on the podium at all three rounds he’s raced since returning from a broken collarbone last month. They had some great battles in the 250 Class last season, but for the first time in their 450 Class careers, they went head-to-head for a moto win in the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship today at Spring Creek.
After a lengthy duel, Tomac finally passed Roczen with about four minutes left on the countdown clock and immediately put a gap on him. The GEICO Honda rider went on to take the checkered flag and earn the first moto win of his career in the 450 Class.
“For me, my goal was to come into these last rounds and do this right here,” Tomac said after the race. “To meet this expectation is awesome, and I just need to do it one more time and get this overall [win].”
For full highlights from 450 Moto 1 at Spring Creek, watch the video at the top of the page.
The second 450 Class moto will be streaming live on ProMotocross.com and NBC Sports.com Live Extra at 4:00 PM E.T., followed by the second 250 Class moto. Click here to access the Live Extra stream.
Second motos in both classes will also be televised on NBCSN later tonight starting at 6:00 PM E.T.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0