Jul 20, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
Second place for Helio Castroneves and a ninth for Team Penske teammate Will Power in race one means the Brazilian has gained 19 more points heading into today’s second race of the Honda Indy 2 in Toronto.
The Verizon IndyCar Series has just five races remaining this season, and four following the second race of the day.
Simon Pagenaud gained points on Power as well with fourth place, although he lost a few to Castroneves. The Frenchman now sits third, 58 back of Castroneves, but stayed alive despite a first lap spin that dropped him to the rear of the field.
Ryan Hunter-Reay lost ground after his incident with Tony Kanaan, and is now 64 back. He’ll need a big result in race two to help close the deficit.
Juan Pablo Montoya sits fifth in points, 95 back of Castroneves, to make it three Team Penske cars in the top five.
Race one winner Sebastien Bourdais now sits 10th after the victory.
Here’s the top 10 heading into race two (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra).
TOP 10 1. Helio Castroneves, 512 2. Will Power, 484 3. Simon Pagenaud, 454 4. Ryan Hunter-Reay, 448 5. Juan Pablo Montoya, 417 6. Carlos Munoz, 371 7. Scott Dixon, 361 8. Marco Andretti, 351 9. Tony Kanaan, 340 10. Sebastien Bourdais, 336
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 1
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 7
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2