Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg was quick to thank the German fans for their support at Hockenheim today as he stormed to his first victory on home soil ahead of Valtteri Bottas and championship rival Lewis Hamilton.
The German driver led every single lap of the race en route to victory, but, as he explained to Kai Ebel on the podium, it was not without its challenges.
With this win, Rosberg has extended his lead at the top of the drivers’ championship to 14 points over Hamilton, although it could have been far worse for Lewis had it not been for his titanic drive from 20th to third come the checkered flag.
The two Mercedes drivers are set to renew battle next weekend at the Hungaroring for the Hungarian Grand Prix, in what will be the last race before the sport’s summer break.
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5