Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Nico Rosberg was quick to thank the German fans for their support at Hockenheim today as he stormed to his first victory on home soil ahead of Valtteri Bottas and championship rival Lewis Hamilton.
The German driver led every single lap of the race en route to victory, but, as he explained to Kai Ebel on the podium, it was not without its challenges.
With this win, Rosberg has extended his lead at the top of the drivers’ championship to 14 points over Hamilton, although it could have been far worse for Lewis had it not been for his titanic drive from 20th to third come the checkered flag.
The two Mercedes drivers are set to renew battle next weekend at the Hungaroring for the Hungarian Grand Prix, in what will be the last race before the sport’s summer break.
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1
- With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1 0
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0