Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg was quick to thank the German fans for their support at Hockenheim today as he stormed to his first victory on home soil ahead of Valtteri Bottas and championship rival Lewis Hamilton.
The German driver led every single lap of the race en route to victory, but, as he explained to Kai Ebel on the podium, it was not without its challenges.
With this win, Rosberg has extended his lead at the top of the drivers’ championship to 14 points over Hamilton, although it could have been far worse for Lewis had it not been for his titanic drive from 20th to third come the checkered flag.
The two Mercedes drivers are set to renew battle next weekend at the Hungaroring for the Hungarian Grand Prix, in what will be the last race before the sport’s summer break.
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2