Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
For the fourth time in five races, Nico Rosberg will start from pole position after fending off the challenge of Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa during qualifying at Hockenheim yesterday.
His most likely opponent, Lewis Hamilton, was ruled out of contention for pole when he crashed hard during Q1 after to a brake failure. At turn eleven, the back-end of his car stepped out and slammed into the wall with some speed. Thankfully, he was unhurt except for some bruising.
The damage done to the W05 Hybrid car meant that Mercedes had to replace the gearbox on his car. As a result, Hamilton will drop back five places on the grid.
With the Williams duo second and third, and with the likes of Daniel Ricciardo, Sebastian Vettel, Kevin Magnussen and Fernando Alonso all vying for a podium finish, it promises to be an enthralling race. Rain could also interrupt proceedings at Hockenheim, so be sure to join us at 7:30am ET on CNBC and Live Extra for the German Grand Prix.
FROM THE STEWARDS’ OFFICE
- As previously mentioned, Lewis Hamilton has taken a five place grid penalty after Mercedes replaced the gearbox on his car.
- Esteban Gutierrez will drop three places on the grid thanks to his penalty from the British Grand Prix two weeks ago.
- Marcus Ericsson is permitted to race by the stewards despite failing to post a time during Q1, and therefore missing out on the 107% requirement. However, he will have to start from the pits after Caterham failed to adhere to parc ferme procedure.
2014 GERMAN GRAND PRIX STARTING GRID
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2. Valtteri Bottas Williams
3. Felipe Massa Williams
4. Kevin Magnussen McLaren
5. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
6. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
7. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
8. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso
9. Nico Hulkenberg Force India
10. Sergio Perez Force India
11. Jenson Button McLaren
12. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
13. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
14. Romain Grosjean Lotus
15. Adrian Sutil Sauber
16. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
17. Jules Bianchi Marussia
18. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
19. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham
20. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
21. Max Chilton Marussia
PL. Marcus Ericsson Caterham
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 2
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 1
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1