Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
For the fourth time in five races, Nico Rosberg will start from pole position after fending off the challenge of Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa during qualifying at Hockenheim yesterday.
His most likely opponent, Lewis Hamilton, was ruled out of contention for pole when he crashed hard during Q1 after to a brake failure. At turn eleven, the back-end of his car stepped out and slammed into the wall with some speed. Thankfully, he was unhurt except for some bruising.
The damage done to the W05 Hybrid car meant that Mercedes had to replace the gearbox on his car. As a result, Hamilton will drop back five places on the grid.
With the Williams duo second and third, and with the likes of Daniel Ricciardo, Sebastian Vettel, Kevin Magnussen and Fernando Alonso all vying for a podium finish, it promises to be an enthralling race. Rain could also interrupt proceedings at Hockenheim, so be sure to join us at 7:30am ET on CNBC and Live Extra for the German Grand Prix.
FROM THE STEWARDS’ OFFICE
- As previously mentioned, Lewis Hamilton has taken a five place grid penalty after Mercedes replaced the gearbox on his car.
- Esteban Gutierrez will drop three places on the grid thanks to his penalty from the British Grand Prix two weeks ago.
- Marcus Ericsson is permitted to race by the stewards despite failing to post a time during Q1, and therefore missing out on the 107% requirement. However, he will have to start from the pits after Caterham failed to adhere to parc ferme procedure.
2014 GERMAN GRAND PRIX STARTING GRID
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2. Valtteri Bottas Williams
3. Felipe Massa Williams
4. Kevin Magnussen McLaren
5. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
6. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
7. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
8. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso
9. Nico Hulkenberg Force India
10. Sergio Perez Force India
11. Jenson Button McLaren
12. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
13. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
14. Romain Grosjean Lotus
15. Adrian Sutil Sauber
16. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
17. Jules Bianchi Marussia
18. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
19. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham
20. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
21. Max Chilton Marussia
PL. Marcus Ericsson Caterham
Aug 4, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
With several race dates having already been announced, it’s time to play “piece it together” for the 2016 IndyCar schedule.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Quick recaps of the other two races at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course weekend from PWC and MRTI.
NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win
Aug 3, 2015, 12:24 AM EDT
NHRA Funny Car driver “Fast Jack” Beckman may want to consider changing his nickname to “Faster Jack” because it doesn’t appear he’ll be slowing down anytime soon.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Sunday’s win fulfilled a lifelong dream for Ohio-native Graham Rahal.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Montoyas 42-point lead over Rahal all but disappears in one race.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:56 PM EDT
Sage Karam in the crosshairs again after controversial Lap 66 spin at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
Wilson earns first podium finish since Houston in 2013.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
Quick thinking from Rahal’s strategists allows the Ohio native to storm to his second win of the 2015 season and slice the gap to Montoya in the championship race.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
Castroneves led at halfway due to off-setting pit strategy.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Alex Lynn has made an impression during his rookie GP2 season, but can he make the step up to F1 in 2016?
Aug 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
McLaren’s CEO feels the reasons behind limiting in-season testing offer a “false economy”.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Watch live from Mid-Ohio ahead of the 14th round of the Verizon IndyCar Series season.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Latvala wins on home soil for the second time in the WRC with a record-breaking display.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Big drama in second Indy Lights race of the weekend at Mid-Ohio.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
What to watch for ahead of Round 14 of the Verizon IndyCar Series season, the Honda Indy 200 from the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Hunter-Reay finishes on top ahead of Helio Castroneves and Jack Hawksworth despite crashing his car.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
The Italian Grand Prix looks set to remain at Monza beyond 2016 thanks to a tax-free investment from the Italian government.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Mazda Road to Indy and Pirelli World Challenge race updates from Mid-Ohio as they happen on one of the busiest road racing days of the year.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:48 PM EDT
Enerson finally breaks through for overdue first Indy Lights win.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Mercedes F1 reserve driver finishes second at the Red Bull Ring to move into the lead of the DTM championship.
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 0
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 12
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0