Jul 21, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Every race fan at some point or another in their life has heard the clarion call of “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!”
When you think about it, that one word, when said three consecutive times with urgency, occupies a unique space in American motorsports culture.
It’s a simple phrase, but how many times has it gotten us out of the house to see drag races, Monster Truck rallies, demolition derbies, and the like?
Jan Gabriel, the creator of “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!,” passed away a few years back. His contribution to the racing world lives on, but one can’t help but wonder what Mr. Gabriel would think of Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s recent take on said contribution – which is being used to help ring up last-minute sales for Sunday’s Brickyard 400.
Oh, it starts off with the classic “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!” But it takes a turn when fans are then promised “a roundhouse of awesome, square in your facehole.”
It only gets more bizarre from there, with the ad declaring, among other things, that not even “an eagle punching another eagle at a rodeo” is more American than the Brickyard 400.
Also, chinchillas are apparently getting free admission to Sunday’s race as well. So there’s that. You can check out the clip above for the full dose of crazy.
Video from NASCAR America
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 2
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 4
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0