Jul 21, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Every race fan at some point or another in their life has heard the clarion call of “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!”
When you think about it, that one word, when said three consecutive times with urgency, occupies a unique space in American motorsports culture.
It’s a simple phrase, but how many times has it gotten us out of the house to see drag races, Monster Truck rallies, demolition derbies, and the like?
Jan Gabriel, the creator of “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!,” passed away a few years back. His contribution to the racing world lives on, but one can’t help but wonder what Mr. Gabriel would think of Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s recent take on said contribution – which is being used to help ring up last-minute sales for Sunday’s Brickyard 400.
Oh, it starts off with the classic “Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!” But it takes a turn when fans are then promised “a roundhouse of awesome, square in your facehole.”
It only gets more bizarre from there, with the ad declaring, among other things, that not even “an eagle punching another eagle at a rodeo” is more American than the Brickyard 400.
Also, chinchillas are apparently getting free admission to Sunday’s race as well. So there’s that. You can check out the clip above for the full dose of crazy.
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1