Jul 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Felipe Massa has blamed Kevin Magnussen for causing the crash that saw his Williams roll into the gravel and out of the race.
At the first corner of yesterday’s German Grand Prix, the two drivers came together after Magnussen made a great start and tried to pass the Brazilian down the inside. Massa took the racing line through the sweeping right-hander, and did not appear to see the Dane.
Massa’s car was immediately flipped into the air before rolling over and coming to rest in the gravel. Thankfully, he walked away unharmed, but he was not pleased with Magnussen when speaking to the media after the race.
“I was in front, I was doing the corner in front of him,” Massa said. “If anyone needs to watch, it is the car behind. I didn’t see yet the accident, but normally the car behind has to brake.
“At that the corner you cannot have three cars side by side, and I backed off a bit to not be side by side with my teammate. It is normally a guy who comes from GP2 who causes this accident.”
This marked Massa’s third first lap retirement of the season, and he was left disappointed after qualifying in third place at Hockenheim.
“The only thing is I am so disappointed with what happened,” he said. “Another race where a car put me out. I am really disappointed.”
Looking at the video replays, it seems that both drivers have a case for pleading innocence. However, Massa should have been more aware of Magnussen, and had plenty of run-off area to take to in order to avoid a collision. After investigating the incident, the stewards decided to take no action.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52