Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will be returning to the dirt of Eldora Speedway this Wednesday night for the “Mudsummer Classic.” For these asphalt cowboys, racing on dirt presents a different set of challenges – and thus requires a different way to prepare.
Earlier this month, Darrell “Bubba” Wallace and his Kyle Busch Motorsports team headed to the Southwest Virginia town of Rural Retreat for a test at Wythe Raceway, a 1/2-mile, high-banked clay oval.
According to Wallace himself, he ran 141 laps in the test. Today, a six-minute clip of the session – shot from the driver’s point of view inside his No. 54 KBM Toyota Tundra – was posted online; you can check it out at the top.
“Last year, Eldora and [the road-course race in] Canada were two of my favorite races because they were so different than what we normally do,” Wallace said this week.
“We tested a few weeks ago in Virginia and we ran a lot of laps trying things out and just trying to get comfortable being on dirt.
“We were happy with the test and I’m excited, my team is pumped and I know we have a Toyota Tundra that will be able to compete for another Top-10 finish.”
In last year’s inaugural “Mudsummer Classic,” Wallace climbed from 17th on the grid to finish seventh.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 1
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 6
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 23
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3