Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
After a dreary 2013, Williams has moved into the lead pack in Formula One. The Grove gang currently sits third in the constructors’ championship, and their second-year pilot, Valtteri Bottas, has earned three consecutive podium finishes.
But deputy team principal Claire Williams is not perturbed about Massa’s recent woes.
In a Q&A session on F1’s official website, she insists that the Brazilian has brought just what the team was looking for.
“Felipe is delivering what we hoped that he would deliver and bring to the team: the experience that he has in F1,” she said. “He has done a huge amount of work with the engineering department to develop the car.
“It is a real inspiration to everybody in the team bringing in somebody of his caliber. It was a very strong message that we wanted to deliver to the team and the world that we are very serious about our goals.”
When asked if Massa was feeling uncomfortable about the success that Bottas (91 points, fifth in the drivers’ standings) has experienced, Williams replied in the negative.
“Not at all,” she said. “Felipe is doing a great job – he’s just suffered from some really bad luck. He is mature enough – and has enough experience in the sport – to realize that sometimes things don’t go your way. It isn’t getting him down.”
As for the team’s current run of success, Williams downplayed the thought that her squad is currently at “best of the rest” behind the dominant Mercedes works team.
But she does believe that second-place constructor Red Bull can be caught by season’s end; the defending World Champions currently hold P2 in the constructors’ standings by 67 points.
A second-half resurgence from Massa would no doubt help the cause, but Williams also has confidence that her team can stay on top of developing its Mercedes-powered FW36.
“We have always been a team that has developed our cars over the course of the season – and we have got resources in-house,”she said. “So there is no reason why we shouldn’t continue doing what we are doing now and build on the consistency that we have now.
“I definitely think that we can keep this momentum going. Where we are now is a far cry from where we were at the same time last year.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 0
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 6
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1