Jul 23, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
The folks on Reddit.com have quickly become big NASCAR fans, thanks to their support earlier this season of Josh Wise at Talladega Superspeedway.
As a result, we like to periodically check the different forums at Reddit to see what’s going on and what folks are talking about.
And what we found Wednesday definitely opened our eyes.
We all know that back in May, Kurt Busch became the first driver in a decade to do “the double” – racing in both the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 in the same day.
And we also know that the elder Busch brother is a full-time Sprint Cup driver.
But did you know – and thanks to the folks at Reddit.com for pointing this out – that Busch is TIED in the same place in the IndyCar driver standings with where he is on the Cup circuit?
After 19 races and heading into this weekend’s Brickyard 400 back again at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Busch is scored 25th in the Sprint Cup Series, 230 points behind leader Jeff Gordon. Busch has one win and just four top-10 finishes (all in the top-five, for the record). (To be fair, Busch is ranked 11th in the Chase-eligible standings.)
And in the IndyCar Series and based on his sixth-place finish at Indy, Busch is also 25th in the standings – even though he has competed in just the Indy 500 thus far (his only start in the first 14 races thus far, and what will likely be his only start this season).
Yep, that’s right. You can check it out, as they say, if you don’t believe us. (Some Reddit posters actually have Busch in 24th in the IndyCar standings, but we’re going with the official points rankings from both series as our baseline — and they both say he’s in 25th.)
What does all that mean in the whole big scheme of things?
Other than being a statistical quirk, probably not much.
But then again, if Busch can rank 25th in the IndyCar series and just have one start, it shows he’s doing better overall in IndyCar this season than Sprint Cup.
Check out the standings below to see the statistical quirk:
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 0
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 1