Jul 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Sometimes players show up to training camp in style – think Willie “Mays” Hayes in Major League for instance – and Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne was an individual that did so today.
Wayne, who’s coming off an ACL injury that hampered his 2013 campaign, showed up to Colts training camp Wednesday in the back of a two-seater IndyCar driven by Ed Carpenter, a Butler graduate and devout Colts fan whose race team has won three Verizon IndyCar Series races this season.
“I want one of these,” Wayne said after climbing out of the back seat of the car, which typically gives rides at Verizon IndyCar Series racing venues. “I enjoyed every little bit of that. It was fun. I’m a guy that likes speed, which is one way to get that speed in me.”
Added Carpenter, “I feel privileged and honored to be asked to bring Reggie. At first I was kind of hoping we had a police escort so we didn’t have to stop at lights. It was kind of cool stopping at lights and being parked next to people. I think people figured it out pretty quick. I think (Reggie’s) helmet was a dead giveaway. We had quite a ride.”
Here’s to hoping there’s some feel-good mojo that comes off Wayne arriving in an IndyCar with the team owner of the guy who won the most recent IndyCar race – Carpenter’s Mike Conway won in Toronto on Sunday.
WR Reggie Wayne shows up to camp in Indy car pic.twitter.com/wJZwcrXpn2
— Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL) July 23, 2014
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0