Jul 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Jenson Button is confident that McLaren is making some good progress after a difficult start to the season, but still believes that the likes of Mercedes and Williams remain out of the team’s reach.
The Briton finished the German Grand Prix in eighth place last time out, but lost a lot of positions thanks to a dud strategy. The result aside, he feels that the pace of the MP4-29 car is certainly improving.
“We’ve made a few mistakes in the race in Hockenheim,” he conceded. “I think we were still quite a way off of the Mercedes, the Williams and the Red Bull, realistically. But after that, we’re okay. We’ve made some improvements, the car is feeling a bit better which is nice. We’re definitely going in the right direction, it just takes so long.
“I think we’re happy with the direction that we’ve taken. It’s just a few things at the circuit we know we need to improve on and we have been improving, but the race wasn’t what we’d hoped for in terms of strategy, but we can put it right this race.”
Button is a two-time winner of the Hungarian Grand Prix, claiming his first ever F1 victory at the Hungaroring back in 2006. He feels that the McLaren will be better suited to this circuit, and also thinks that the loss of FRIC could play into his hands.
“The car should work reasonably well here as well with the balance and the package that we had at Hockenheim, it should benefit us more here,” he said. “We don’t have the super-soft tires here either which is a tire that we find quite difficult to work with. We’ll see what happens, it’s quirky little circuit, it’s quite bumpy.
“It will be interesting to see how different the cars are without the FRIC system around here, because a bumpy circuit is a big issue when you don’t have a FRIC system. A lot of the FRIC system is to help with the ride quality.”
Button is yet to confirm his plans for 2015, be it with or without McLaren, and said that no discussions have been held despite us reaching the halfway point of the season.
“No,” he said when asked by NBC Sports if any talks had been held. “To be fair, I haven’t thought about it either and that’s 100% the truth. I haven’t asked any questions and I don’t feel there’s any need to.”
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 9
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 2
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0