Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Former Brickyard 400 winner Bobby Labonte will be returning to race at the fabled Indianapolis Motor Speedway in this Sunday’s 21st running of the Brickyard.
Labonte, whose win in the 2000 Brickyard helped propel him to that season’s Sprint Cup championship, will drive the No. 37 Tommy Baldwin Racing Chevrolet, to be sponsored by Accell Construction, TBR announced Thursday.
“I am thankful for the opportunity given to me by Tommy,” Labonte said in a team media release. “Getting to run my 21st race at the Brickyard means a lot to me.
“Jeff Gordon and I are the only active drivers to run all the races at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and I am glad to continue that quest with TBR.”
Sunday’s race will be only the third start of the season for Labonte. He had a strong run in the season-opening Daytona 500, finishing 15th.
He returned to Daytona three weeks ago for the Coke Zero 400, finishing 26th after being involved in a massive multi-car wreck on Lap 98, 14 laps short of the rain being ended early due to rainstorms.
“I am excited to have Bobby Labonte come on board this weekend at Indy,” Baldwin said. “Bobby and I are good friends, and I know that his experience both on and off the track will bring a lot of great information to everyone at Tommy Baldwin Racing. I’m looking forward to seeing the impact Bobby will have, and great Brickyard 400.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1