Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
Former Brickyard 400 winner Bobby Labonte will be returning to race at the fabled Indianapolis Motor Speedway in this Sunday’s 21st running of the Brickyard.
Labonte, whose win in the 2000 Brickyard helped propel him to that season’s Sprint Cup championship, will drive the No. 37 Tommy Baldwin Racing Chevrolet, to be sponsored by Accell Construction, TBR announced Thursday.
“I am thankful for the opportunity given to me by Tommy,” Labonte said in a team media release. “Getting to run my 21st race at the Brickyard means a lot to me.
“Jeff Gordon and I are the only active drivers to run all the races at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and I am glad to continue that quest with TBR.”
Sunday’s race will be only the third start of the season for Labonte. He had a strong run in the season-opening Daytona 500, finishing 15th.
He returned to Daytona three weeks ago for the Coke Zero 400, finishing 26th after being involved in a massive multi-car wreck on Lap 98, 14 laps short of the rain being ended early due to rainstorms.
“I am excited to have Bobby Labonte come on board this weekend at Indy,” Baldwin said. “Bobby and I are good friends, and I know that his experience both on and off the track will bring a lot of great information to everyone at Tommy Baldwin Racing. I’m looking forward to seeing the impact Bobby will have, and great Brickyard 400.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 0
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 5