Jul 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Indy Racing Experience has partnered with Make-A-Wish® Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana to enhance two wishes during the Kroger Brickyard Super Weekend that takes place at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway July 24-27, 2014.
The two wish kids, Hunter, age 11 and Kobey, age 16 are coming to the Brickyard 400 for their wishes, and will also get to experience a ride-along in a Make-A-Wish two-seater NASCAR and/or Pace Car driven by Paul Menard, who pilots the No. 27 Moen/Menards Chevy SS in the Sprint Cup Series for Richard Childress Racing this weekend.
Menard will drive each child on the streets of Speedway with a police escort on Friday, July 25 at 2pm. Each ride will begin outside of the motorcycle lot by the Hall of Fame Museum at IMS. The ride will continue to Polco down 10th and Main Street, and back to the Hall of Fame Museum.
“We appreciate the support of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indy Racing Experience, and Paul Menard in helping us to make the wish experiences for our wish kids at the Brickyard 400 extra special,” said Wish Program Manager Suzanne Gardner. “The joyful memories they create here are ones they will have to remember for years to come.”
Hunter has a severe form of epilepsy called Lennox Gastaut Syndrome. LGS is characterized by recurrent seizures and children often have delays in development and have psychological and behavioral problems stated by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes.
Kobey has a condition called Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, DMD leads to progressive muscle weakness, which leads to serious medical problems, particularly relating to the heart and lungs. Kobey and Hunter’s conditions are both life-threatening.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52