Jul 25, 2014, 10:18 AM EST
David Ragan led the first of two NASCAR Nationwide Series practices slated for this morning at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Ragan, driving the No. 98 Biagi DenBeste Racing Ford, topped out with a lap of 181.043 mph on his 12th and final lap of the session.
Turner Scott Motorsports’ Dylan Kwasniewski broke up the RCR bloc behind Ragan by posting the third-fastest time at 179.935 mph.
Positions 6-10 were filled out by Kyle Busch, Joey Logano, Regan Smith, Kevin Harvick and Kyle Larson. Chase Elliott, who seized the NNS points lead with his win last Saturday night at Chicagoland Speedway, was 15th-fastest at 177.806 mph.
Elliott leads Smith by seven points heading into tomorrow afternoon’s Lilly Diabetes 250 at IMS.
The session was slowed early on by an incident involving NNS rookie Ryan Reed, who slid up the track and hit the Turn 2 SAFER Barrier broadside to bring out a caution just six minutes in.
Reed would return to the track late in the session after repairs to his car. He posted the 18th-fastest time (176.644).
“Turn 1, I was up pretty quick on exit there and I got a little aggressive there trying to learn the place,” he told Fox Sports as his car was in the garage.
“…I hate that I cost us any time on the race track but you’ve got to learn the place somehow, and I’d rather get the bumps and bruises out early on and go from there.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4