Jul 25, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
David Ragan led the first of two NASCAR Nationwide Series practices slated for this morning at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Ragan, driving the No. 98 Biagi DenBeste Racing Ford, topped out with a lap of 181.043 mph on his 12th and final lap of the session.
Turner Scott Motorsports’ Dylan Kwasniewski broke up the RCR bloc behind Ragan by posting the third-fastest time at 179.935 mph.
Positions 6-10 were filled out by Kyle Busch, Joey Logano, Regan Smith, Kevin Harvick and Kyle Larson. Chase Elliott, who seized the NNS points lead with his win last Saturday night at Chicagoland Speedway, was 15th-fastest at 177.806 mph.
Elliott leads Smith by seven points heading into tomorrow afternoon’s Lilly Diabetes 250 at IMS.
The session was slowed early on by an incident involving NNS rookie Ryan Reed, who slid up the track and hit the Turn 2 SAFER Barrier broadside to bring out a caution just six minutes in.
Reed would return to the track late in the session after repairs to his car. He posted the 18th-fastest time (176.644).
“Turn 1, I was up pretty quick on exit there and I got a little aggressive there trying to learn the place,” he told Fox Sports as his car was in the garage.
“…I hate that I cost us any time on the race track but you’ve got to learn the place somehow, and I’d rather get the bumps and bruises out early on and go from there.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3