Jul 25, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has picked up where he left off in FP1 by finishing fastest in the second free practice session for this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix.
The Mercedes driver posted a fastest lap time of 1:24.482 to finish two-tenths of a second clear of teammate Nico Rosberg at the top of the timesheets, as the Silver Arrows dominated proceedings once again in practice at the Hungaroring.
The session took place under sunny skies on the outskirts of Budapest, and saw drivers complete one-lap qualifying simulations in tandem with their long runs in preparation for the race on Sunday. In both trims, Mercedes was the dominant force, and was rarely bothered by the chasing pack during the session.
Sebastian Vettel finished as the best of the rest for Red Bull, and did lead for a short period of time after his first option tire run. The German driver pulled out an impressive gap over teammate Daniel Ricciardo, who could only finish seventh on Friday afternoon.
Fernando Alonso finished fourth for Ferrari, showing signs of good pace at the track where he claimed his first race win. The Scandanavian duo of Kevin Magnussen and Kimi Raikkonen finished behind him in fifth and sixth place respectively.
Williams improved on its poor FP1 result to get both of its cars inside the top ten. Valtteri Bottas finished eighth for the British team, followed by McLaren’s Jenson Button and teammate Felipe Massa.
Mercedes is clearly the team to beat once again this weekend, although both Rosberg and Hamilton were reporting problems towards the end of the session. Further back, there is an interesting battle developing between Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Williams for the final podium position which should make for a great race on Sunday.
The next opportunity the drivers will get to head out on track is in the final practice session tomorrow morning. You can watch the session live on Live Extra and online from 5am ET.
If you missed the session live, or just want to watch FP2 again, be sure to tune in to NBCSN at 12pm ET today for the encore.
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 0
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 1
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 2