Jul 25, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Having grown up in Bogota, Colombia, and having made Miami his home for the last eight years, Juan Pablo Montoya is used to large metropolitan and cosmopolitan cities.
He’s never at a loss for things to do in places like those.
But in Mansfield, Ohio? Well, not so much.
Montoya was at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this past Wednesday for a test with Penske Racing teammate Will Power. After a long day at the track, Montoya and Power went looking for something to do.
Because it was too far to drive to see the Camping World Truck Series race at Tony Stewart‘s Eldora Speedway that night, Montoya and Power finally decided they’d take in a movie together.
The flick they saw? Montoya was almost embarrassed when he admitted it during a press conference Friday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where he’ll race in Sunday’s Brickyard 400.
“‘Sex Tape,’ I think it’s called,” Montoya said in his own inimitable way. “That’s the name of the movie. We wanted to watch another movie, but we were late and that’s all there was.
“Come on, we’re in Mansfield, Ohio. There weren’t a lot of choices.”
Montoya did not offer a review of the movie. He probably figured he’d said too much already and should quit while he was ahead.
A bit earlier, Montoya was asked if he’s felt any difference when talking to people at IMS this weekend, given that he’s now a NASCAR ringer instead of a full-time Sprint Cup pilot.
“Maybe I think people are nicer now or I’m nicer, I don’t know. Either or,” he said with a laugh.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15