Jul 25, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Having grown up in Bogota, Colombia, and having made Miami his home for the last eight years, Juan Pablo Montoya is used to large metropolitan and cosmopolitan cities.
He’s never at a loss for things to do in places like those.
But in Mansfield, Ohio? Well, not so much.
Montoya was at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this past Wednesday for a test with Penske Racing teammate Will Power. After a long day at the track, Montoya and Power went looking for something to do.
Because it was too far to drive to see the Camping World Truck Series race at Tony Stewart‘s Eldora Speedway that night, Montoya and Power finally decided they’d take in a movie together.
The flick they saw? Montoya was almost embarrassed when he admitted it during a press conference Friday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where he’ll race in Sunday’s Brickyard 400.
“‘Sex Tape,’ I think it’s called,” Montoya said in his own inimitable way. “That’s the name of the movie. We wanted to watch another movie, but we were late and that’s all there was.
“Come on, we’re in Mansfield, Ohio. There weren’t a lot of choices.”
Montoya did not offer a review of the movie. He probably figured he’d said too much already and should quit while he was ahead.
A bit earlier, Montoya was asked if he’s felt any difference when talking to people at IMS this weekend, given that he’s now a NASCAR ringer instead of a full-time Sprint Cup pilot.
“Maybe I think people are nicer now or I’m nicer, I don’t know. Either or,” he said with a laugh.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1