Jul 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
“Every day I wake up and I’m like, ‘Yes, let’s do it again,'” Busch said today at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway before practice began for this weekend’s Brickyard 400.
“Then there are thoughts of ‘I finished sixth, that’s pretty special.’ I don’t know if I could achieve that result again.”
Busch finished a superb sixth for Andretti Autosport in the ‘500‘, which served as his first IndyCar race ever.
But in the ‘600,’ his No. 41 Stewart Haas Racing Chevrolet suffered engine failure and took Busch out with less than 194 miles to go in his bid to complete the Double.
So with that 1,100-mile goal still yet to be reached by him, there figures to be incentive to give it another shot next year.
The Outlaw said today that no talks have yet begun on a 2015 Double program but also noted that he was “more than willing” to run one.
“After the month of May and winding down through June, and just like today coming back to the Speedway, there’s different moments of when it tells me, ‘Yes, let’s go do it again,'” he said. “Then there’s moments of ‘Just wait, let things pan out.’ My focus right now honestly is that 41 car and the Chase that’s coming up.”
“We last year went to — I don’t remember which date it was, and said this has to be our cutoff. So I think we’ll have some talks again. We’ll have some other dinners and time to hang out. We’ll see what presents itself.
“I mean, I’m more than willing to jump back in and try to do a full 1,100 miles because that’s the objective, to complete all 1100. It’s something special and it’s a target, and it’s only been achieved once. It’s very difficult to do.”
Tony Stewart, Busch’s teammate and boss at SHR, remains the only driver to have run all 1,100 miles of the Indy-Charlotte double. He pulled off the feat in 2001, finishing sixth in the ‘500’ and third in the ‘600.’
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5
- Ron Dennis clears up Alonso crash rumors; confirms he was briefly knocked unconscious but was not concussed 3
- McLaren confirms Alonso leaves hospital, and is out for final test 0
- Manor targets Melbourne appearance; announces Will Stevens as first driver 2
- Iconic F1 designer Gerard Ducarouge dies at 73 1