Jul 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Esteban Gutierrez and Sergio Perez have made no secret of their happiness following the news that the Mexican Grand Prix will be returning to the F1 calendar in 2015.
The race was last held back in 1992 – Gutierrez was just one year old at the time – at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, but it was confirmed earlier this week by F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone that the sport would be returning there as of next year.
Speaking in the FIA press conference on Thursday, both of the drivers expressed their excitement for the Mexican Grand Prix and the chance to race in front of their home fans.
“It’s great, I’m so happy,” Perez said. “Since I left my home at 13, 14 years I never raced in Mexico. I never raced in my home country. Now to go back after so many years and race actually in Formula 1 is great.
“They’ve been really pushing for so many years, since I came to Formula 1 four years ago. The spirit of the fans is massive back home.
“It’s great for my country, for all the fans back home and I’m sure you all will be surprised at how good the event will be. I’m just very proud and excited. It’s great that we can confirm that we will have a Mexican GP next year.”
Gutierrez has enjoyed one race in front of his home crowd before, but to have a grand prix in Mexico is a “dream come true” for the Sauber driver.
“I have good feelings about it, because all these years that Mexico has been involved in Formula 1 with obviously first Checo getting to Formula One and now myself, we are two in Formula 1 and I think this is a great step to have a grand prix,” he said.
“It’s really a dream come true for many of us. I had the chance to race once in Mexico City, back in 2008, when we did the world finals of Formula BMW. It was a great experience.
“I think it was an introduction to what it can be, obviously very, very small by comparison but now we will be able to going into the biggest thing in Mexico and to really share with our fans, with our supporters, to share with them physically the sport.”
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3