‘Auntie Danica’ enjoys spoiling new niece: She even changes diapers!

Jul 26, 2014, 3:57 PM EST

danica at espys AP

INDIANAPOLIS – Danica Patrick doesn’t mind getting her hands dirty with a race car, but diapers?

Who knew?

Now before the world explodes into a “Danica is pregnant” frenzy, put that to a rest right now.

She’s NOT pregnant.

But Danica most definitely is enjoying being a doting aunt to her younger sister Brooke’s infant daughter, Reese, born this past January.

“Do I change diapers? Heck yeah, yeah, I do, I don’t mind,” Patrick said in a Saturday press conference at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “I was changing a diaper, and I had a new one ready to go, and all of a sudden I looked down, and I’m like, ‘Gosh, girl, you were sweating, weren’t you?’

“And I’m like, ‘No, you peed again.’ So then I went for another diaper.”

And then in a wry tone with a slight smile on her face, Patrick even found an upside to what can be a dirty job: “At least it wasn’t a boy, right? That would have been in my face.”

Patrick, who is going strong into a second year in a relationship with fellow Sprint Cup driver Ricky Stenhouse Jr., likes to play dress-up with Reese.

Make that dressing up Reese.

“Yeah, Reese is really cute, my sister’s little girl,” Patrick said. “She was here today and she was dressed in one of the, as you said it, expensive gifts in one of those expensive outfits that I found for her downtown Chicago and she looked very cute.

“But I do my best, yes (as an aunt). I try. I also try and take care of my sister and my parents and everybody else, too. But it’s impossible when you have a little niece to be able to walk by a little girls’ clothing and not go, ‘Oh, my God, look at that, I have to buy it!’ So I do.”

Patrick even got playful with reporters about her niece. When she was first asked about Reese, Patrick wistfully talked about her own new “kid,” a miniature Siberian Husky puppy named Dallas.

“Those blue eyes, that soft hair, those sharp teeth,” Patrick said near-wistfully before correcting herself. “Oh, I was talking about Dallas. Were you talking about Dallas?”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

1. bcsh8er - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM

And what does this have to do with racing?

2. indy71 - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM

3. wallio - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Well they certainly can’t write about Danica’s results…….

• robert194811 - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM

what have you accomplished in your lfe wallio……………….probably nothing

• robert194811 - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM

what have you accomplished wally…………………..nothing

4. worknman24hours - Jul 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Man,ya’ll gotta hate when it’s just a human interest story too.

Give it a rest.

Nice story there Danica.

• robert194811 - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I agree,nice story, and I like Danica

5. techmeister1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Yup the haters hate, that’s all they do. Their lives are so worthless they want to tear other people down so that they feel better about their miserable lives.

Some people here could use long term professional help. Chronic hating is a mental health issue.

• worknman24hours - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM

very well said tech.

6. kitnamania13 - Jul 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM

If you don’t want to see articles like this, don’t click on them and don’t comment on them.

And yes, I’m aware of the irony that I had to click and comment on this article to say that, so don’t bother pointing that out to me.

7. spa67 - Jul 27, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Danica makes the whole sport look like it’s about who you are and not what you can do. Every other sport it is a pure meritocracy. Only in racing will cash or good looks give you a chance with a top team. That’s sad, it’s one of the things I hate most about my favorite sport, and Danica is the biggest reminder of this failing in all the land.

So, if you really need to know, that’s why so many of us can’t stand these stories.

8. aug99 - Jul 28, 2014 at 1:28 AM

MAYBE THIS IS HER CALLING.
    Its definitely not racing stock cars.

Video from NASCAR America