Jul 26, 2014, 6:02 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has completed his clean sweep of the practice sessions for the Hungarian Grand Prix by finishing fastest in FP3 on Saturday morning in Budapest.
The Briton posted a best lap time of 1:24.048 to finish less than one-tenth of a second clear of Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg at the top of the timesheets. The world championship leader was forced to settle for second place behind Hamilton for the third time this weekend, but will be hoping for a reversal in fortunes later today in qualifying.
The final one hour practice session saw the drivers and teams complete their final system checks and setup changes ahead of qualifying, and it came as little surprise to see the Silver Arrows dominating proceedings once again. Both Hamilton and Rosberg complained about minor issues on their cars following Friday’s sessions, but these appear to have been resolved.
Sebastian Vettel’s belief that Red Bull is a step closer to Mercedes in Hungary was underpinned by a good result for the team in FP3. Vettel finished third with teammate Daniel Ricciardo in fourth place. Valtteri Bottas showed signs of improvement for Williams after a quiet Friday, coming home in fifth.
Ferrari was once again battling inside the top ten with Fernando Alonso in sixth place ahead of Kimi Raikkonen. Kevin Magnussen finished eighth for McLaren, with the two Toro Rossos of Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniil Kvyat rounding out the top ten.
Qualifying takes place at 8am ET and is live on CNBC and Live Extra. Will Hamilton continue to dominate in Hungary, or could Rosberg spring a surprise? Join us then to find out.
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 3
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4