Jul 26, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Starting his qualifying lap just before time ran out in the final round, Busch threw down a lap of 179.888 mph to knock Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Matt Kenseth (178.912) from P1 on the grid for the Lilly Diabetes 250 (4:30 p.m. ET, check local listings).
“Fast race car again – just looking forward to running 100 laps here today and see if we can’t keep it up front,” Busch told Fox Sports after earning his fourth NNS pole of the year.
“Track position is everything here at these places but I also feel like we’ve got a good car. If we get back on stops or something, we can make it up.”
Said Kenseth: “That was an impressive lap by the 54 [Busch]. Hopefully, it doesn’t run 100 laps as fast or nobody’s gonna come close to beating him.”
Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott (177.806) will line up fifth alongside Team Penske’s Joey Logano (177.760) in Row 3. Regan Smith, Elliott’s closest pursuer in the championship, starts seventh.
All four drivers involved in the Dash4Cash this afternoon – Dillon, Elliott, Scott, and Trevor Bayne – made the final round of qualifying and will start toward the front.
Scott, winner of last week’s $100,000 D4C prize at Chicagoland, qualified on the outside of Row 5 in 10th. Bayne will go from the inside of Row 6 in 11th.
- WATCH LIVE: Monaco GP Race Day on NBCSN and Live Extra from 7am, NBC from 7:30am 0
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0