Jul 26, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
Starting his qualifying lap just before time ran out in the final round, Busch threw down a lap of 179.888 mph to knock Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Matt Kenseth (178.912) from P1 on the grid for the Lilly Diabetes 250 (4:30 p.m. ET, check local listings).
“Fast race car again – just looking forward to running 100 laps here today and see if we can’t keep it up front,” Busch told Fox Sports after earning his fourth NNS pole of the year.
“Track position is everything here at these places but I also feel like we’ve got a good car. If we get back on stops or something, we can make it up.”
Said Kenseth: “That was an impressive lap by the 54 [Busch]. Hopefully, it doesn’t run 100 laps as fast or nobody’s gonna come close to beating him.”
Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott (177.806) will line up fifth alongside Team Penske’s Joey Logano (177.760) in Row 3. Regan Smith, Elliott’s closest pursuer in the championship, starts seventh.
All four drivers involved in the Dash4Cash this afternoon – Dillon, Elliott, Scott, and Trevor Bayne – made the final round of qualifying and will start toward the front.
Scott, winner of last week’s $100,000 D4C prize at Chicagoland, qualified on the outside of Row 5 in 10th. Bayne will go from the inside of Row 6 in 11th.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 1
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 1
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 21