Jul 26, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
BROWNSBURG, Ind. – In an exciting finish that featured plenty of beating and banging, Kyle Busch waited until the final turn of the final lap to get by John Hunter Nemechek and win Friday night’s ARCA CRA Super Series Circle City 100 late-model event at Lucas Oil Raceway.
“It was a fun race, I enjoyed it,” Busch said. “We’ve had a lot of great runs in this late model car over the years. I won the race the same way Earnhardt would. There’s opportunities like young guys like John Hunter that’s going to take them a long ways.
“I just timed it right. I got alongside him and it was a drag race from there. I had just enough. … He blocked me for 85 laps or whatever, but we had enough at the end.”
Busch defeated Nemechek, son of Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series driver Joe Nemecheck, by 0.024 seconds on the .686-mile track just west of Indianapolis.
Nemechek took the lead early in the race from Ross Kenseth, son of NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Matt Kenseth and held on until Busch snuck past him when Nemechek went toward the middle of the track, Busch went to the top and held on to steal away what looked like a certain win for Nemechek.
“It was definitely an awesome run,” Nemechek said. “It just sucks to lose it after leading all those laps, but if you’re going to lose it it’s best to do it to the guy who won it.”
Chad Finley finished third, followed by Alec Caril, Traves Braden, Willie Allen, Wes Griffith, Jr., Ross Kenseth, Todd Gilliland (son of Sprint Cup driver David Gilliland) and Brandon Oakley in 10th.
From 21st through 27th were Paul Shafer Jr., Matt Hall, Tommy St. John, Zane Smith, Justin Claucherty, Ali Kern and Justin Ashburn.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 0
- Hamilton may have won again, but it was Raikkonen and Rosberg who stood out in Bahrain 9
- Scott Dixon breaks through for elusive Long Beach win 3
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 6
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1