Jul 26, 2014, 7:15 AM EDT
Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner is confident that Sebastian Vettel remains 100% committed to the team following speculation suggesting that he may have been subject to offers from Mercedes and McLaren.
Team advisor Helmut Marko revealed to German publication Sport Bild earlier this week that Vettel had received an “outrageously high” offer from McLaren to leave Red Bull and move to Woking, but the defending world champion brushed off the stories.
For Horner, there is little substance in the reports, and it is just typical of F1’s ‘silly season’.
“Well usually it’s the start of the silly season where he’s either going to Ferrari or Eric [Boullier] made him a big offer or maybe going to Mercedes,” he joked. “So, we just wait to see which team it’s going to be.
“Sebastian is absolutely committed to the team. There’s no doubt at all that he’ll be with Red Bull next year and he’s enjoyed so much success with the team, he’s happy with the team and the team are very happy with him.”
Following the seismic change in the regulations, Red Bull’s title defence has been non-existent. Mercedes has run away with proceedings this year, but Horner is confident that Vettel will remain loyal through this sticky spell.
“We know we’ve got a lot to do,” he said. “None of us are comfortable or happy with the situation that we’re currently in, but we’re in it together and we’ll work our way through it.”
Vettel is not the only driver to be subject to silly season rumors. Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton have both been linked with moves, but in all honesty, this is relatively normal as F1 prepares for its summer break.
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 2
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 4
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2