Jul 26, 2014, 7:15 AM EST
Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner is confident that Sebastian Vettel remains 100% committed to the team following speculation suggesting that he may have been subject to offers from Mercedes and McLaren.
Team advisor Helmut Marko revealed to German publication Sport Bild earlier this week that Vettel had received an “outrageously high” offer from McLaren to leave Red Bull and move to Woking, but the defending world champion brushed off the stories.
For Horner, there is little substance in the reports, and it is just typical of F1’s ‘silly season’.
“Well usually it’s the start of the silly season where he’s either going to Ferrari or Eric [Boullier] made him a big offer or maybe going to Mercedes,” he joked. “So, we just wait to see which team it’s going to be.
“Sebastian is absolutely committed to the team. There’s no doubt at all that he’ll be with Red Bull next year and he’s enjoyed so much success with the team, he’s happy with the team and the team are very happy with him.”
Following the seismic change in the regulations, Red Bull’s title defence has been non-existent. Mercedes has run away with proceedings this year, but Horner is confident that Vettel will remain loyal through this sticky spell.
“We know we’ve got a lot to do,” he said. “None of us are comfortable or happy with the situation that we’re currently in, but we’re in it together and we’ll work our way through it.”
Vettel is not the only driver to be subject to silly season rumors. Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton have both been linked with moves, but in all honesty, this is relatively normal as F1 prepares for its summer break.
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA from the Hall of Fame red carpet at 4:30 p.m. ET 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 2
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 1
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0