Jul 27, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
Daniel Ricciardo made no secret of his happiness after claiming his second Formula 1 career victory in Hungary, beating Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton on Sunday at the Hungaroring.
The Australian driver perfected his strategy to pull off a repeat of his win in Canada, making a move for the lead with just a few laps remaining. On fresher tires, he was able to push hard and pass both Alonso and Hamilton in the dying stages of the race to claim win number two of 2014.
“It feels as good as the first, it really does,” he said on the podium after the race. “The safety car at the beginning played to our advantage, and then I thought when the second one came out, it didn’t really help us, but we managed to pull it off at the end.
“I had to pass our way through and that was a lot of fun, the last few laps.”
Ricciardo has signed off in style for the sport’s summer break, and has been one of the breakout drivers of the first half of the year since his move to Red Bull from Toro Rosso.
“Definitely going to celebrate tonight, and party for a few days I think, enjoy a bit of time off and then keep building on what I’ve done in the first six months and look forward to Spa,” he said.
“Just want to thank the team, obviously they really let me settle in so well in the first six months of the year, and to grab two victories is honestly phenomenal. Really pleased, and we’ve got a few mates here this weekend, so we’ll party hard tonight.”
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 1