Jul 27, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo made no secret of his happiness after claiming his second Formula 1 career victory in Hungary, beating Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton on Sunday at the Hungaroring.
The Australian driver perfected his strategy to pull off a repeat of his win in Canada, making a move for the lead with just a few laps remaining. On fresher tires, he was able to push hard and pass both Alonso and Hamilton in the dying stages of the race to claim win number two of 2014.
“It feels as good as the first, it really does,” he said on the podium after the race. “The safety car at the beginning played to our advantage, and then I thought when the second one came out, it didn’t really help us, but we managed to pull it off at the end.
“I had to pass our way through and that was a lot of fun, the last few laps.”
Ricciardo has signed off in style for the sport’s summer break, and has been one of the breakout drivers of the first half of the year since his move to Red Bull from Toro Rosso.
“Definitely going to celebrate tonight, and party for a few days I think, enjoy a bit of time off and then keep building on what I’ve done in the first six months and look forward to Spa,” he said.
“Just want to thank the team, obviously they really let me settle in so well in the first six months of the year, and to grab two victories is honestly phenomenal. Really pleased, and we’ve got a few mates here this weekend, so we’ll party hard tonight.”
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Brad Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 24
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 1
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0